Pain after partial knee replacement

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had partial knee replaced 17 month ago. 

Still I have lots of pain while go down stair . And pain is outside of knee . Climbing up is very painful too. My inside knee has prostheses and is pain free. So the problem is resolved but new problem arise .

My knee swell up if go for hiking. 

My surgeon advised full knee replacements 

Any one has same problem? Any advise ? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How was your pain right after surgery and in the ensuing months?  Did you do PT?  I can’t comment on pain after 17 months post op.  I had my PKR and ACL reconstruction on Feb. 21st of this year, so I am only 8 weeks out.  Is the surgeon who said you should get a TKR the same surgeon who operated on you when you had the PKR?  I’d recommend getting another opinion before I jumped into another surgery.  I hope you haven’t been in pain all this time.  That would be horrible.  Hang in there and please write back.  Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Rebecca

I did PT religiously. But at that time after 8 weeks my knee get swollen . So doctor said rest your knee for few weeks and Ice and elevate. 

I went to work after 5 month 

But my pain start within few weeks . Doctor said it is IT band giving pain . I start PT again . But no help. 

I am taking medications for inflation too. Finally after 13 month doctor gave injection in that knee.

He told me if not improved in 3 weeks , call me .

I called and he said I need TKR 

• Posted

Hi Jayshri. I’m so sorry you still have pain from your PKR.  This doesn’t seem right.  Is your pain new or have you experienced this pain all along after your surgery?  I can’t imagine that you’ve worn down the lateral side of your knee in one year? I’d certainly get an MRI and a second opinion.  All the best to you.
    • Posted

Wow, that was a fast progression of arthritis. I’d still get a second opinion from another orthopedic doc. Bring your MRI with you. Best wishes!
  • Posted

Sorry i wrote you twice.  I thought it didn’t go through the first time 🤭

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.