Pain after passing 6mm kidney stone

Posted , 6 users are following.

After a month long struggle I finally passed a 6mm kidney stone.  I was scheduled for surgery but was able to cancel since I passed it just prior to my surgery date.  What is odd this time around is that I am still having some discomfort after passing the stone.  I have never had any post pain when I naturally pass a stone but the largest I have past (until this sucker) was 3mm.  Has anyone else had some discomfort linger for a few days after passing a stone?   I do have other stones in the kidney but they are tiny 1mm which I typically barely notice passing.  The pain I am having is more of a mild swelling feeling...kind of like mild hydroureter.  

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi wow that was amazing you passed that! I’d say you are probably a bit sore after that; as it’s probably now healing where the stone has rubbed past. 

Keep your Docs informed and see what they say 

Good luck 

Angela. 

• Posted

Ha ha...I do feel pretty tough for having passed it naturally and very relieved that I did not need surgery.  I dread the stents more than the stone pain...but more than all of that I dread kidney damage from not dealing with them properly.
  • Posted

I've only had stones surgically removed so I don't know. Its been 1 week since stent removal and I still feel off and have urgency. Motrin and a heating pad somewhat help but I also had an antibiotic for possible infection. Kidney stones just suck in general and I wish you to be pain free!

• Posted

Have you talked to your dr about this? I’m not sure what’s normal and what’s not since I’ve only had one but it had to be surgically removed. I had my stent in for 3 weeks and had instant relief. I went to the bathroom right after they removed it and had no pain while peeing at all and my urgency stopped as well. I hope yours ends soon because it is miserable!!
    • Posted

You had no pain with a stent?  If that is the case I bow down before you because those things destroy me!!!
    • Posted

Oh golly no. I had pain the whole 3 weeks. It was miserable! I meant after they took it out I had instant relief! I hope to never have a stent (or kidney stone) ever again!
    • Posted

And I hope the same for you!  I was worried

scout about my toughness badge if you had no issues with a stent.  Someone once told me that it did not bother them at all and I kind of think they didn’t actually have one 😂 

• Posted

I couldn’t ever feel it so initially I didn’t think that was why I was having pain and peeing so much blood, but it was for sure the culprit! 
    • Posted

I have heard of many people feeling immediate relief after stent removal but unfortunately I was not one of them. I put a call into my Dr who I haven't heard back from. While the urgency isn't as severe, it is still present. I'm hoping it's just a healing process and nothing more. Thank you for sharing. ?

• Posted

Hi VeeBo,

I agree with others you should get this checked on. The ureter is about 6mm in diameter, so your last stone was definitely a tight and, I would guess, painful fit passing through. It also could have done some damage because of the tight fit - any blood in the urine?

• Posted

No blood in the urine...right after there was but nothing now and I have even tested with dipsticks to see if there is any microscopic blood.  Each day I am feeling a little bit better so I am thinking just some swelling.  I had a surgery a few years ago where the stone was in the UVJ right at the bladder and they did not put a stent in since it was simple grab of a 3mm stone...but I swelled up completely and wound up in the ER with complete hydrometer and hydronephrosis.  So I guess I am just sensitive there.
  • Posted

I agree with those who say you should check your discomfort with a Dr.   But congratulations on passing one that size.  My hubby was in A&E in terrible pain last week.  A suppository eased the pain but a scan revealed a 6mm stone in the ureter.  They sent him home with several different painkilling meds.  He’s had a couple of painful episodes since but no pain for the last 48 hours.  If he hasn’t passed it in 4 weeks, the hospital intends to intervene.  I guess it’s going to be a helluva painful experience if/when it passes!  Was your pain horrendous as it passed?  What a relief for you it must be now.

• Posted

My family had a home for years in Worplesdon. I remember there used to be a wonderful University hospital in Guilford. Is that where your husband went for his care?
    • Posted

The pain was pretty rough when it passed but I was just so happy to get it out.  More of a stabbing pain than the pain you get with an obstructing stone.  I know the passing is worse for men than women because it has a bit of a longer path to travel on it's way out...and you know men :p.  One thing that I think is key is that if he can tell that it dropped into his bladder (kind of spasm feeling and then the urge to really go wee) he should drink a lot and make sure his bladder is really really full so he can put a lot of pressure behind pushing it out...you don't want it stuck on the way out.

• Posted

Small world, eh, Vaughn!  No, it wasn’t at Guildford but at St Peter’s Hospital in Chertsey - just a 20 minute drive for us whereas Guildford is about a 40 minute drive.
    • Posted

Thank you for the informative and helpful reply, VeeBo - horrid sounding experience for you.  I would be surprised if hubby does pass this on his own in view of what you have said about drinking enough to try and push the stone through especially as his wee is now weak due to both his age and his prostate cancer.  He could really do without this on top of the PC plus recent diagnoses of Atrial Fibrillation, Vit B12 deficiency (started replacement injections yesterday) and a hernia operation in two weeks’ time.  They’re holding off on starting the blood thinning meds for the AF until after his hernia op but mentioned a higher risk of stroke meanwhile!  I’m concerned about the pain of passing the stone (if he does) heightening that stroke risk!  He’s a glass half full bloke and has been very fit and strong all his life until the last few years but Anno Domini seems to be getting in the way!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.