Pain after PT

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started weight bearing last Thursday and have progressed well until PT today. We tried one crutch walking as well as cane walking with some new stretches to help my Achilles' tendon stretch. Was doing well after for about an hour then started getting some sharp pains in my ankle whenever I tried to walk. Went back to scooter and iced area, but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I have had some aches in the ankle this last week while double crutching and weight bearing but not this sharp stabbing pain. Thanks all😀 Been great to have this community to check in with. Read most posts and it has really helped me with my recovery.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marymollie,

I had pain (excruciating) in my ankle when I first started to move it & PWB.

It's all of your nerves and tendons that need adjusting and stretching.

I used some coconut oil and just spent most of the time when I was sat resting, massaging the inner and outer ankle area with my thumb (to use most pressure) and I've come on leaps and bounds because of and pain free now

• Posted

I will try that jean65697. I have been lax in my lymphatic massage due to time constraints. I'm plugging away today with the new stretches that were given yesterday. PT scheduled 2x/week for now so hoping to move forward quickly. Thank you for your advice!!

• Posted

My physio advised to get a hand held ultra sound to use on mt tendons and muscles on my ankle. It has been a tremendous help . Also walking in deep sand slowly has increased the ROM and stregthened the joint.

many Heeling blessings sent your way.

• Posted

I will ask about the ultrasound at PT on Tuesday. Thank you!
  • Posted

Hello -    you don't say how far along in your rehabitation you are but whatever, I think after any form of physio, stretching, new walking technique etc.,   it's quite normal to feel these aches pains and stabbing feelings.

I have surgery exactly 3 months ago.   I'm now walking without any aid but even now I have a permanent light pain when I walk.   I'm not limping but sometimes, I feel I want to limp to ease the stretching pain.

I have physio every week, I certainly wouldn't be where I am without it.  But it's been a hard slog.   I think the answer is to keep elevating and icing the ankle as many times in the day as is feasible to your lifestyle.    Make it work, then rest and ice it.

Hope it all improves for you very soon - I'm quite sure it will.

• Posted

My ORIF surgery was Aug 18th. Hoping to be out of boot by the end of November. PT scheduled 2x/week for now. Head back to Orthapedic Doc in a week for X-rays and further instructions. I have been fairly lucky and have not had as much pain as so many of the patients on this site so when I started having those shooting pains it scared the heck out of me. Thanks for the encouraging words @2pauline24051😀

• Posted

I just had my revised ankle replacement surgery wenesday had to have the whole replacement replaced. It's like starting all over again after nine months of pain. Really hope this one works this time

• Posted

Oh yuck! I hope it gets better for you Tim. This ankle stuff really bites. Good luck and quick recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.