Pain After PT x 3 days (post op 3 weeks)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Most of you know I had bicep tendonsesis and shoulder decompression along with 2 bone spurs shaved and arthritis scraped off my collar bone a little over 3 weeks ago.

I was doing pretty well, doing all my exercises as advised and have had decent ROM considering I am 3 weeks out. After my PT this past Wednesday I have had terrible pain for 3 days. I went back on the ice machine, had to take pain medication at night and Advil again which I had stopped all of these.

I go between heat and icing along with my TENS machine these last 3 days to find some relief but not getting much.

When I lie back and stretch my arm back as far above my head as possible is what hurts the worst and what I think really pushed me to have this pain in PT. I have kept up doing my pendulums, hand going slowly above my head standing and moving my arm so I do not get a frozen shoulder or get too stiff.

My outer shoulder where the acromial head is and back of my arm hurt the most, just aching pain with some shooting pains.

Is this normal after PT? I feel like I should tell her to not push my arm back so far because I was doing really well before this with very minimal pain at all until I had the PT. I understand PT can be painful but Id rather go slow and steady then do exercises that will cause pain non stop for days on end. I cannot believe this is what I am supposed to be feeling, like I have gone backwards.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

Hi,

The answer is YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell the physical therapist it hurts too much...in fact, if she's got any sensitivity at all she should be monitoring your facial expressions, sensing your body tightening up, moans coming out of your mouth, etc. They're taught to do that. I have no clue why she is pushing that far.

Let me tell you something. After my first surgery, it hurt like hell to have that arm moved around even a little bit. In fact, the therapist should have told you, "Tell me if this is hurting too much." They should take the stretch to the point you feel it maybe with just slight pain, but not to the point where it is torture. If they do, I'd suggest you don't hold back and scream so they get the message...although a simple "That's far enough" should do the trick.

When i got impatient with my ROM progress, the head therapist always asked, "How much pain can you take?" meaning she would manipulate/stretch my shoulder as far as I could take it. You don't want them to overstretch which causes you so much pain that it incapacitates you for days and you aren't even able to do your exercises.

Talk to your therapist, while they are manipulating your shoulder. Give them signals verbal if necessary. Ask them questions. It's a 2-way process and you shouldn't feel like a piece of meat being worked on. You are the patient, they are the therapist. You each have responsibilities and to get the most out of your sessions you want to make sure both of you are on the same page and can work together. If you can't get that kind of relationship with your therapist, by all means, don't be afraid to ask for another one.

There were several therapists at my clinic and I let them know which ones I favored working with. Forget about hurting someone's feelings, this is about your health and getting the most out of your treatments.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you Mike. I made faces. grunted, said "ow" so she knew it hurt.

Ive had her for years and get along with her well but she is known to be rough at times.

You are right, I need to tell her to tread lightly on Monday. I was considering cancelling and giving my arm and shoulder a break.

I don't feel like making things worse in this has been cents Wednesday already and it is still really bothering me which makes me wonder how long it will take to feel better.

I was feeling so much better till this happened!

• Edited

Don't worry. You are not going backwards. Recovery can take some time. Literally several months or if you are like me with systemic issues that affect the joints, possibly years... I had two shoulder surgeries, 6 months apart in 2016 on my right shoulder after enduring 5 whole months of excruciating pain following an injury. The first surgery was a SLAP tear repair and decompression, which did not fix my issues given the surgeon chose the wrong procedure! I was too old for a SLAP tear repair in the first place, age 45, when most surgeons no longer do this procedure on patients older than 30! I had no idea of this until I went in for my second surgery with a much better surgeon who was not all "sales talk" and gave me the facts, with compassion. Of course, the original fix did not hold for even 3 months and my labrum tore again! I also had two torn rotator cuffs that were still not fixed, so I went to another surgeon 6 months later who did a biceps tenodesis and he repaired the worst of the two cuffs, my infraspinatus. I still have a supraspinatus tear, but it was too subtle for the surgeon to want to fix. I also had decompression and a claviculectomy. My entire healing process literally took 2 and a half years before I could start using my right hand on a computer mouse at all and really use my right arm. I still can't type for long or use a mouse for long. I can't lift more than 5 pounds at most on one hand/arm, I still have daily pain 4 years later plus flare-ups and have a huge scar from the tenodesis. However, my shoulder does feel 50%-60% better than before the injury and surgery, so I am thankful for that. Not to be discouraging as everyone heals differently, but just so you know, don't be hard on yourself! You are very, very early on in the healing process and I remember being in the very worst pain at night and during/after physical therapy. I used ice packs all the time as well as ointments and medications. I would not have been able to do P.T. without painkillers and it took me several months to completely wean back down to my pre-surgery, baseline meds. I had excellent range of motion from the get go however! My P.T. therapist was very impressed at how mobile I was just a month and a half out from surgery. I used the machine in my home for the first 6 weeks of recovery for up to 3 hours a day before my surgeon approved going to outpatient physical therapy with an actual therapist. But I do have hypermobile joints, so mobility was never my issue in the first place. Debilitating pain with 2 torn cuffs and labrum completely torn from the bone had made my shoulder slipping and was causing more damage to tissues all over the place, so my P.T. focused on a stabilization program rather than one that highlighted flexibility. Due to all the stress for an extended period of time on my left arm and hand to do most everything for 2 years, has taken a huge toll on my left shoulder, which is now always so painful. Was told I have a torn rotator cuff ( superspinatus) on that shoulder now as well. Been to P.T. for 2 months and now doing another round at home with the exercises, but I know surgery is not too far off. I am procrastinating on it though since my low spine is fractured and my cervical spine is also a mess. Not sure which area I'll be getting surgery on next. I've had 4 major surgeries in the last 7 years, and over 35 surgical procedures in all. For most people, surgery does not eliminate the pain the point it feels like it did before the injuries, but it should relieve most of it. The reason none of my surgeries relieve more than 50%-60% is because my health situation is complicated. Hopefully yours is not and you heal up well! You may have miles to go yet or not. Healing after surgery is a process and many individual factors can contribute.This is why most surgeons will tell you or provide literature explaining it takes up to 1 year for best results in most people! If you are young, you have a better chance at healing much faster & better too! Hope this helps.

• Posted

Oh @Ella888 I cannot even imagine all you have gone through! My gosh how do you deal with the pain all the time? I cannot comprehend having all those surgeries and the recovery for all of them.

I hope somehow your surgery can help you and take away your pain, how awful for you.

I feel like I am in a viscous cycle. If I do not do my exercises, my shoulder is stiff but when I do them it seems to exacerbate the pain. I felt like my pain level was very low before PT. I was doing my pendulums and using my arm as best I could at home trying to move it a little more each day and have come a long way.

My back is sore where my shoulder blade is, a bad pressure point, my neck is hurting as well as my shoulder and bicep. I feel like it just affects everything and am using the ice machine and heat as well.

I have used my Tylenol with codeine a few nights but only had ten to begin with so only have a few left. I was up from 1:30-5 am this morning because of pain. I had my shoulder in the ice machine for 4 hours beforehand. I just do not know what else to do. I wonder if cutting back on exercises would be a bad idea but it feels like maybe it just needs to rest?

It sounds from your reply that pain is just part of the process of healing but how long does this go on for? Granted it has only been a month and I realize during PT there will be pain but I did not think it would continue for a long period of time because it was feeling so good before PT.

I see my doctor on June 4th. I may decide to call tomorrow to see what he says. I dont know what else to do and am getting very depressed having this pain most of the day and night with very little reprieve. am also gaining weight because who feels like going out and doing anything feeling like this?

I feel bad even complaining after all you have been through. I am not in agony, just feel shooting pain or throbbing pain in different areas.

@linda41826 Thank you for your reply and support. I did tell my PT how much pain I was in so she eased up on the exercises and did some ultrasound and red light heat. I do ice, heat, electric stim, anything I can to ease the pain. I do not seem to have any inflammation so not sure where this pain is coming from or why. MY ROM is really good although cannot go too far behind my back (and do not expect to at 4 weeks post op). I really wish I could figure out what this shoulder needs to feel better.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. If anyone can think of anything else please let me know.

• Posted

Hi, Nancy:

Granted it has only been a month and I realize during PT there will be pain but I did not think it would continue for a long period of time because it was feeling so good before PT.

You are doing excellent after only 1 month. And to tell you the truth, I think they push you too hard in the beginning. I think they should back off anykind of extreme manipulation of your shoulder.

I think it's really important, especially in the begining of recovery/therapy to allow the patient to get into a rhythm of exercise/recovery/exercise/recovery WITHOUT too much pain and stress. To tell you the truth, I think you will reach a good recovery level without them pushing you too much and causing you the pain you are now experiencing.

Another thing, I don't know how many times a week you go to therapy but every one of my sessions began with electostim, ultrasound massage and hands on massage followed by an application of biofreeze. I then did warm up exercise on the pulleys, the wand, resistance bands, various other stretching. That was in the beginning. The electrostim, ultrasound and massage and biofreeze made the process relatively painless. The manipulation by the therapist caused discomfort not extreme pain and we had an understanding that he or she would not push it past a certain point causing pain.

The manipulation could also include further hands on massage. For example you mentioned pains in other parts of your body. If I felt a kink or pain in my neck or back, I'd tell the therapist and they would massage it. A good therapist can feel those knots and problems in your muscles and can work them out. It's almost miraculous the times I had those kinds of pains and they would massage them away. Also, depending on the facility, they may also have a hydrotherapy tub for you to also use. And, they know that recovery from shoulder therapy affects your entire body, throwing things out of balance and cause aches and pains elsewhere as well as the weight gain you mention. Try and stay active, go for walks regularly perhaps 2-3 times a day, maybe 10 minutes a session work up to 30.

It's definitely a physical process but also a hugely mental and emotional one as well.

Keep up the good work, remember you are getting better and stronger everyday, even though it may not seem like it.

• Posted

Thank you Mike, I really needed to heat that. I am teary eyed just reading it. I prepared myself that it was going to be hard but I think between the stress and chaos of this pandemic (we own two businesses, both closed) and the almost constant pain it is getting to me.

I have a pulley at home and small ball I have to use for exercises (hand, elbow, fist pushing against it slowly).

No bands yet.

I go twice a week and she does the massage on my shoulder, bicep, neck and shoulder blade area that are sore.

Like I said, it feels like my whole upper body hurts and I feel like a baby somedays whining about it.

I really, really appreciate your reply.

I am going for a walk with my husband today and know that will help. It's finally warming up.

• Edited

I had my right shoulder repaired last year in August. Torn bicep and torn rotator cuff. Nine months later I am doing really good with that arm, but I still don’t have much range of motion reaching behind my back.I can easily lift 10 pounds with my right arm now. I hurt my left shoulder at the same time and have a full tear on my left arm. I have been waiting for surgery because of Covid and finally have it scheduled for middle of June.

On my first surgery I barely had started PT at three weeks postop, and did very little reaching above my head at that point, only the physical therapist manipulated my shoulder for me for the first week or so. definitely tell your physical therapist this is too much pain ,too soon!

Be Patient, it does take a lot of time to start to feel normal, but you will get there!

• Posted

I am now 9 weeks post op. I have developed what my PT believes is frozen shoulder/encapsulitis. The pain has continued with some relief with massage, ionto patch and ultrasound but it only lasts a day.

She says to ask the ortho doc if getting a cortisone shot would help.

I have not been able to start strength training due to the frozen shoulder and pain.

My ROM really isn't bad and when I shower in hot water my arm is much more mobile. It seems much worse starting around 5 pm and icing/heat do not help. Pain is prevalent in the elbow as well.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

I see the doctor in 5 days. Hoping he has answers, this is getting depressing.

• Posted

My bf had frozen shoulder after rotator cuff and bicep tendonesis surgery and had shoulder manipulation under anesthesia. Did they do anything for your frozen shoulder? He is almost 15 weeks post op and the poor thing still has excrutiating pain when doing stretches. BUt his wonderful surgeon somehow managed to give him nerve damage in two different places that he is still dealing with. Its so sad.

• Edited

Hi,

I had my surgery in April. I ended PT in September. I am now pretty close to 100% ROM.

I hope with time your BF feels much better. It really does take at least 6 months to start feeling somewhat normal.

I do lots of stretching and am going to do weights now. I have neck and back issues so that doesnt help.

Sorry to hear he did not have a good doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.