Pain after removal of cast & full weight bearing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All, are any if you out of cast & full weight bearing? I was wondering if anyone out there is in a lot of pain & swelling like me, the pain is unbearable some days, any advise would me much appreciater , thanks in advance

Tina

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, as shocking as it sounds it is normal to experience swelling and pain, I'm 4 month on from my injury 8 weeks in a cast and I'm in and out of a boot now, boot mainly when I go to physiotherapy, at home I don't bother, I cannot fully weight bear yet due to the agony I'm in, but the dr said to my gp in a letter that he should begin full weight bear, physiotherapist says I should be walking in 2-3 month time, as for the pain he said pain killers and Ice, my foot swell up like a balloon and goes purple, how can this be normsl I ask, they say it is perfectly normal sad

Hang in there, try not to get down, no pain no gain, little by little you will get there but don't overdo it.

• Posted

Yes cheers Darren I didnt

Have boot Dr said as I was already fully weight bearing on his advise while in plaster, said I didnt need Physio either!

Your right no pain no gain, but bloody nightmare with it all, we will all get there eventually 👍🏻👏🏻

• Posted

Hi Tina. Hang in there.  I am in week 14 post-up and had a terrible time during weeks 3 - 9.  All sorts of tingling, numbness and searing pain as if I had hot nails in the back of my heel.  Had full battery of nerve testing and they think I have an impinged nerve.  Surgeon said the best thing is to start physical therapy and get the ankle moving which I did in week 7/8.  I went to full weight bearing in about week 10 or 11 and the pain has greatly subsided.  I now have gone from the knee scooter to the walker and finally to the cane although I can walk a great deal inside my home without any cane.  I just use the cane outside for safety as an uneven surface would be problematic until strength and full range of motion has recovered. As for the swelling, my surgeon told me right away it will last about 9 months and I am afraid he's correct.  It has gone down some but I have a ways to go.  It gets bad in the evenings after a full day of activity.  I elevate as much as possible.

Jerry

• Posted

Hi Jerry, with the swelling you experienced did you have issues with circulation?

I'm 16 weeks in and my foot and ankle still goes deep purple when my foot is down, also I have complete numbness in my lower calf which hasn't began to get its feeling back as yet, to add to that,my foot and toes still also have weird mixed sensations of numbness and prickerly feelings. I only feel comfortable when my leg is elevated.

• Posted

Hi Darren.  I haven't had any numbness in my calf.  Like you I find I have to elevate every night, which I do religiously.  Best time is when I wake up and my foot is swollen the least.  I still have to exercise it first thing to loosen it up or walking is difficult.  My toes always seem to be swollen, but not numb.  And yes, my bad foot always has a different color than my good foot, slightly purple.  My worst problem is it feels like barbed wire around the back of my heel, an awful sensation that gets worse as my foot swells up as the day passes.  It's getting better but it has been very painful and uncomfortable.

• Posted

Hi Jerry thanks for your reply, yes think we all in it for the long haul unfortunatley, Yes I elevate my leg every evening, by then its agony... wishing you all the best with your recovery
    • Posted

Same to you Tina.  Let us know how you are progressing.  I am having difficulty getting my leg to ankle/foot to flex back more than about 15 degrees.  Went well initially going from zer0 degrees to 8 degrees, then 12, then 15.  Just seems much harder now to get additional flexing which is needed to properly walk and go down stairs. Having to work on that a lot now but am confident in time it will happen.
    • Posted

Yea will keep in touch, I havnt got a oeoblem flexing as yet but going down stairs is a nightmare isnt it 🙁

Hope it will get easier for you Jerry let me know how you get on too

• Posted

Darren,

I'm 22 weeks out and my leg still turns purple and I have numbness in my toes. The big toe is the worst. My physio girl massages them and tells me to move and wiggle them and rub them to desensitize those nerves and get the joints moving. I definitely see progress and they are becoming less sensitive and can bend more. If you don't have good ROM yet your calf will have to work too hard and it will get sore. This too will improve as your ankle moves more.

Margie

• Posted

Hi Tina,

3 months post op tib/fib break with 2clamps, and rod in tibia. PWB now. I have a boot but it was causing more pain so I maneuver without it on two crutches, sometimes one, and if it's a good day I can walk a few steps by myself. 

At the end of the day there is always swelling and my husband is fascinated with the pretty colors my ankle turns. 

Dr. has said this will last at least 9 months, even when we are walking much better, and can last up to a year. 

Yesterday I had PT and the exercises felt good but today my ankle is swollen and sooooo tender! 

This really changes your life.  

Wishing you better healing days. 😀

• Posted

Thank you Karen its good to hear we are not alone in all if this, yes I think its a long haul, Im full weight bearing no crutches but one hell of a limp so good leg suffering now & again too, good luck to you & hoping you a full speedy recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.