Pain after TKR 4 months post op

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi TKRers I had my op at the beginning of July 2016 on my left knee and although I was shocked by the pain after the op, I dutifully did all my Physio even though I am not a great lover of exercise, being 60 and overweight and lazy but I was determined to get a good result. At the end of my 8 week sessions my Physiotherapist said I had great bend and extention and I was free from all sticks or crutches so the docter signed me off to go back to my part time job, this was the end of September. I felt so pleased with myself and everyone said how well I looked as I had managed to loose about a stone as well. But, since I have been back to work I have found that my recovery seems to have gone backwards. I only work 3 days in an office but it is a busy one where i am up and down all day seeing clients and going out on visits. My walking is fine and I have come to terms with all the clicking and popping that goes on in my knee. But any incline or walking up steps or getting up and down from sitting is still very painful and it gets worse by the end of the day. I am still on paracetamol 4 times a day. Can anyone give me any advice as to what I can do? Will strengthening the muscle in my thigh help? What about getting an exercise bike? Or am I just being a whimp and it's something that will improve over time? Any advice gratefully received 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Janice

I don't think your being a whimp I'm 6 weeks post op and just played 9 holes of golf I'm not quite 58 , I've put my progress down 2 my exercise bike I do 20 mins Everyday on min resistance, it's also good 4 burning calories 🚴🚴😀😀💃🏼

Keep going

Rob x

• Posted

Thanks Rob looks like I'll be trawling eBay for a cheap exercise bike. Well done on your progress x

• Posted

Hi janice. Let me say I had similar discomfort until 7 months post op. Your days of being overweight and underactive should be over as we, with knee replacements need to be active so our muscles and tendons recover from the trauma. Pool walking, bike riding, chair yoga and stretches will deliver great outcomes. Believe me, there is a light but you need to do the work! X
    • Posted

Maybe i gave the wrong impression, I am active, as i said my part time job is a very busy one and on the days i am off go for long walks

and do all the usual housework stuff. I was just expecting the pain on going up and down stairs and getting up and down to be diminishing by now 

• Posted

Hi. I'm 8 1/2 weeks out and am out cutting firewood for out beautiful cold northern Minnesota winters. I can go about 3 or 4 hours before I've had enough, with knee getting stiff. I have the clicking too, which bothers me a little, but am told that will go away eventually. This recovery is not lineal. You have good days and bad day stretches. My main gripe is my sore lower back, which has been persistent lately. Of course cutting firewood doesn't help. Yes I think strengthening your thigh muscles will help. At PT I lift weights already with my new knee to get my quad muscles back. Really helps. Riding bike is really good too. I am overweight too and I know it doesn't help the situation. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Please read the Exercise section...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

The clicking and popping can last 12-18 months...or never go away.  Who knows.

• Posted

Thank you Chico, although this is scary reading it certainly gave me prospective. I think that because TKR surgery is now so common the attitude is that it is a simple and easy operation which it ain't. 

• Posted

I've had my hip replaced, four vertebrae fused, two shoulder sopes, four knee scopes and the TKR (plus assorted other crap).  The knee is by far the worst and no one prepares you for it.  Even if you knew all this stuff beforehand, you're still not prepared.  It takes a toll mentally and physically...that's why ya gotta stay strong.  No other way.

• Posted

It just takes longer for us older ones.  I'm of the opinion that your endurance will increase as your knee heals completely, which takes up to a year.  

• Posted

Hi Janice, I'm 10 weeks PO TKR I had 2 knees done, yes getting up and down from a chair is painful, I find sitting or standing for any period of time painful and I have to move, the pain at night brings tears to my eyes, I have an excersize bike and do 10mins per day plus other excersizes, I find if I miss a day I feel less pain the next day though, but they say "no pain no gain" I'm sick of hearing that I must say. No-one warned me of the recovery period being so long and painful

• Posted

Hi Robyn,

Your not alone. I am 10 weeks post op, and Im having a lot of pain at night. I find it very difficult to even sleep at times. I do pt twice a week and im bending about 107 and straightening is at about -4. I do my home exercise, but seems like im not making any real progress. I do think the bike helps me a lot. Im walking on a cane, but still need to build a lot more strength in my leg. I keep getting discouraged, as manipulation is the last thing I want . Please anyone respond and give me any advice. Recovery is very slow!!!! Im frustrated.

• Posted

Hi Janice, You got a good start with your 8 weeks of physical therapy, didn't they give you an exercise routine? I had both knees done about 2 years ago, now I couldn't really walk by the time I had surgery so a lot of muscle to rebuild, but I spent over a year in physical therapy rebuilding leg strength and coordination. You're not done just because you can bend your knee. The exercise bike is a great source of exercise, keeps your knee bending too. Don't overdo it. Even 5-10 minutes a day makes a big difference. And I'm still not running up and down the stairs! I had RTHR about 3 months ago, kinda slowed me down on my exercise. Anyway you need to continue some kind of exercise. By the way I'm 64 and still working 6 days a week.

• Posted

Hi dave. I also had both my knees replaced. What kind of exercise did the PT give you for coordination? I often feel "unbalanced" when I walk long distances. Tks for any advice.

• Posted

Thank you Dave what an inspiration you are, certainly puts things into perspective for me . I am going to quit moaning and get on me bike! 
    • Posted

Hi Lynn, sorry I didn't see your post until now. Be happy to share some PT Exercises with you or anyone who's

interested.

Always started with 5-10 minutes on sit down type bike, got the knees bending and warmed up a little. Then 5-10 minutes walking on treadmill, concentrating on the heel to toe.

Next what he called sidesteps. With an elastic band around your ankles. Just what it sounds like, you walk sideways stretching the strap with each step. Go about 10-15 feet and then back, 3-5 times. Hope that makes sense

Next squats moving sideways same as the side steps. Graduated to doing that with 10 lb. Medicine Ball.

Assorted step ups onto 6" stool, later with 12" stool.

Here's a tough one, called lunges. One leg forward and one back pad on floor under back knee, bend front knee til back knee touches pad. Always did this with a wood pole in one hand for balance. 10-15 reps, twice with each leg. I hope this makes sense.

Had a device called a bosu ball. Half round ball about 18" diameter kinda soft, look up bosu ball. This is specifically for balance. You balance on it on one foot. Used the pole again for balance. Tried for 1 minute, took some practice to get there.

Squats with a big rubber ball behind your back against a wall.

Then stretching on PT Table, DMS - deep muscle stimulation, hand held vibrating machine like little jack hammer!

There were a few others but that was standard 3 times a week workout, Always ended with 15 minutes ice. Took 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

• Posted

Thank you Dave. I will implement many of the exercises you recommend. The side steps are something I need to remember to do!

Tks again! All the best Lyn

• Posted

Hey Lynn, you could probably find these exercises and more online if you need more clarification on how to do them. If it hurts, pain not fatigue, STOP!

You need some kind of exercise bands of varied tension, basically just big rubber bands!

Also I walked the dog every day even after PT, maybe half mile or so. I hope all this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.