Pain after total knee replacement.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had a tkr 13 weeks ago. I am still having a great amount if pain. However, I'm not taking pain meds. Trying to deal with it. Is this normal for 13 weeks out. My hip and thigh also hurt like crazy. Any suggestions? I'm 53, back at work where I stand most of the time. Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Only you know what your pain levels are. Standing for me is worse than sitting most of the time. I teach part time and my classes are 2 and 3 hours long. Sometimes back to back. I'm 65 17 months post op. My hip and ankle pain were worse than my knee. Check to see if your legs are the same length. The Dr and Rehab both said yes, but I wear 2 to 4 heal lifts from WalMart in my left shoe to make my legs the same. The length seems to change with the swelling. The pain just above my R hip is nearly incapacitating at times. I change the number of lifts and it goes away. Slow learner, it took me 4 months or so to figure that out. See if you can stand on one of those cushioning floor mats. 

• Posted

I’m 9 weeks out on my pkr. I had to take Teo pain pills today just to be able to walk. The new knee joint shows up on X-rays as being ok but all my ligaments and tendons and muscles that are attached to my knee are so inflexible at times that I feel all locked up . I go to physical therapy and do stretching exercises but sometimes that makes things worse . I ice and elevate and hear stories of people with tkr’s that are in no pain after 6 weeks and they are doing great . Don’t know why I’m having such trouble Buy don’t feel alone there are plenty of us that are suffering in the trenches with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.