Pain after wires removed from my toes bunion removal ok

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm looking to see if anyone else experienced really painful toes after the wires were removed following the 2nd and 3rd toes being shortened. I had my bunion removed at the same time and it's generally ok but the toes are throbbing just sat with them raised writing this. I'm 7 weeks post op. I do think I might be trying to do to much as I just want to get back to normal. Thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi penny, i had both bunions done at once and hammer toe correction which had pins, i am 14 weeks post op and i am still getting pain and throbbing in the toe that the pin was removed from, its also very sore, and i get like a hot stabbing shooting pain alot, both my feet are still very swollen and if i weight bare i get swollen ankles too... i must say its been one of the most painful experiences i have had, i have a good pain barrier but my god this has been something else, the hot burning and stinging brought me to tears i must say, i have rested and keep feet up as much as i can but you still have to go to the loo and get something to eat or drink... it has been an emotional rollercoaster too, if i have not been eating i have been crying, felt really low with it all, and i do sometimes feel will i ever be normal again... i have three screws in each big toe where bunions were removed and they are also painful and very tender and swollen, i am off on holiday on tuesday to spain, surgeon gave me the go ahead to go but i can not get any shoes on so i have to go in house slippers... and i have to have a wheelchair at the airport and i am hating every min of doing that... you are still very early days, dont expect too much too soon otherwise you will be like me tearful... just carry on doing what your doing and soon the sun will shine again and happy feet will appear, but its a long slow process that we do get to but the road is long, and i am sure like mine what your feeling is very normal part of healing.... healing can be as painful as the op itself.... keep strong hun xx
    • Posted

Hi Gillee thanks for your reply. It's good to know what I'm feeling is normal. I'm terribly impatient so I think I need to slow down rest more and allow my toes to heal. I get a really swollen foot after a busy day but it all looks again by the morning. Have a lovely holiday and enjoy the change of scenery , I'm sure a holiday will lift your spirits. I think one of the side effects of this surgery is the melancholy xxx
  • Posted

Hi Penny, I had my 2nd toe shortened last Sept.  I now actually can say I have days when I look down at my foot and think it is beginning to look normal.  The scar's virtually disappeared but there are 2 marks where the stitches were removed that bleed at the time that are still quite noticeable, which is a shame because as I say the scar as virtually disappeared.  I did get the throbbing that you mention and even now I get nerve pain with sharp type pain and also arch ache which I do some exercises for.  Whether any of this is due to the pin which was removed or just the op I do not know.  My surgeon has monitored me for 12 months. Some days I think I am back virtually normal and then I walk too much or do too much of something else and it can ache but I do not know if I would have had that anyway at 68.  Good luck with the healing.  I had a thyroid op many years ago and I do remember thinking then for a long time that my neck felt numb at times and closely it got better so I think this is the same.  
    • Posted

Hi Carol

thank you for your reply. It's nice to hear from some one who is much further down the recovery road. As I said to Gillee, I'm terribly impatient and want to just get on with life. My job is desk based so work is good as I can raise my foot and rest it for a good portion of the day. Im already pleased with the look of my foot, even my little piggy toes with the ends which look like they have been stuck back on some days ! The pain was getting me down on Sunday but knowing this will decrease and get easier is great. I'm seeing my surgeon again this week and having an X-ray which will be nice visual proof that all is well and the healing is well under way. Dreaming of next summer, pain free walking and pretty sandals xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.