Pain all below my knee now I'm 7 weeks tkr

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 7 weeks tkr,I can only bend 75%at pt thats it .My knee last few days is very swallow and hurting below the knee realign bad.It feels like arthritis I'm taking pain pills and Motrin my feet hurt also.I'm 57 years old I had bone to bone knee had to have tkr.I'm really worried my knee is as hard as a brick and won't bend past 75% at almost 8 weeks I feel I should be doing good.what's wrong.anyone having this go on with them .And if you don't mind can you tell me if there's anyone my age that had tkr.That's having trouble like me..I'm going thew a divorce I'm wondering if the stress from this is keeping me from getting better.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Don't give up--I had two knee replacements this summer. Can you buy a deep tissue ha d held massager? This helped me. Also going to the pool and a jacuzzi if you can get access. My second knee was done 8 weeks ago and the first one 14 weeks ago. Keep doing your exercises at home. It will come. Don't get discouraged. Hang in there.

• Posted

Hi Jen,

Can yoou tell me where you bought your hand hels deep tissue massager? I have been going to a deep tissue massage physio and would very much like to have my own hand held. Thanks a bunch!

• Posted

Sure. I bought it at Walgreens in Utah for $39.

• Posted

Hi feather, I came home from hospital 2 years ago TODAY from second TKR. Just realized that. More recently had RTHR 24 days ago. You need to get to work on that knee. Do you have a physical therapist? The scar tissue in your knee needs to be stretched. It takes time but the longer you wait the harder it gets. I remember my left knee, the second one, was swollen for months. I can only tell you what I did and my knees work good and are almost completely pain free. Physical therapy 3 times a week for year and a half. Knees were really bad. Did not bend and very bowlegged before surgeries, took a lot of work to rebuild muscles. I am 64 years old and I made it through so you can do it. You are only at 7 weeks so you're very early in your recovery. I found ibuprofen worked best for pain, Elevate and ice.Dave

• Posted

Thank you Dave,I'm going to PT 3 times a week and I also do my work outs on my own everyday...So I'm pushing thew. Thank You good luck yourself..

• Posted

Hey feathers, you're doing the work it will get better. The exercise bike upright or recline, set it to bend the knee as far as it will go with out pain, don't over do and hurt yourself! Felt like it loosened knee up at beginning of workout. Also walked the dog a mile a day. But not at 7 weeks! Hopefully you can continue PT for as long as it takes, you will get stronger. I had some pain with Physical Therapy but it gets better and eventually goes away. Good luck. Dave

• Posted

Hi Feather, Im 56 and had my first TKR 7 wks ago. My bend is 110% have been using a mini cycle for a few wks at home, the type you sit on a chair and do it.My physio said to massage my scar as much as possible but its making it really sore even tho Im using moisturiser. She said that most people at 7 wks only have a 75% bend so your progress is normal. Like you Im still in pain tho especially down my shin into my ankle.I have to work on my straightening but the excersises hurt like hell and now my other knee is worse too. I expect like me you just want to get back to normal asap but it takes so long we have to be patient Its stressful enough having the op without other things as well, I really feel for you
  • Posted

Sorry you are having to go thru this while healing from TKR, and yes stress like that is not helpful.  I'm 61 and 3 weeks out and I overdid it Fri and was outside too long.  Now I dedicated myself to staying off the knee and icing and elevating and it is getting better.  I can't bend more than 30 right now but I'm not worried.  I figure I need to heal up first and the surgeon said keep it straight and first have it over extend before you get it bending.  I went to PT but they were into torture that nothing could cover that kind of pain but anesthesia, and I know that some people will need this later on.  It's called manipulation under anesthesia. (MUA) There's no reason to hurt to the point of passing out.  So I'm not even doing PT right now.  My knee is hard too but not as swollen and yours would benefit from elevation and icing.  I take an aspirin twice a day and two alieve twice a day.  You need to be on some kind of anti-inflamatory.  I researcched all the things that can go wrong after my TKR and one is the pounding they do to set the parts, CAN cause some minor fractures.  FInd out if you can get this x-rayed and if that does show up, then you won't feel like the paiin is all that unusual.  It all just has to heal.  It's a violent surgery.  I opted for a spinal block so I know how hard they pound those things in.  I was afraid they were going to damage my  hip.  I was bruised all down my calf and completely black on the inside of my knee and even under my thigh.  I even bruised in a hand print on my ankle area.  Sometimes I don't want to hear how far people are bending already because it makes me feel bad that I can't.  But everyone is different and where some people say they had challenges, I found easy.  I also  have RA and that brings it's own challenges, such as adding to the scarr tissue problem.  If I need them to go iin later and cut the scar tissue then that's what I'll do..  FInd something that makes you laugh, because that's the best medicine, and let it take your mind off the problems.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, no reason to have any fears re your healing process, however I do hope you are doing some of your knee exercises, at least to start the bending process.  I myself have had a slow go with this Tkr recovery period n still ongoing. Had surgery in March, I'm a little over 5 months. Still have pain, swelling n stiffness.  Can't take nsaids due to other issues, so still on a low does of other meds.  I do my exercises everyday, I have added pool n stationary bike. My pt was discharged last week. I know what I have to do.  I myself, like anyone else have my good days n bad, but try to make more good days, cause what's a gal to do.. 🤔🤔🤗 ... Anyhoo, my numbers are 110/2.  Not the best not the worst, however with each month I  see progress. I just wish the swells, pain n hurt would slow a weeeee bit... There is hope for all of us, hang in n stay strong... The mind is a wonderful thing (if used correctly), best, kathy p 🍀🍀🍀 🌬🌬🌬 👼👼👼🎆

• Posted

Hi feathers, im 55 and I'm almost 6 weeks out. My knee was also like cement. And really severe swelling. Massaging the tissue is what will help break down that scar tissue. Mine is finally getting a little softer. My bend is 90%. But I haven't progressed past that point in a couple of weeks. Also make sure you are manipulating your knee cap. If you aren't doing that, especially up and down, it can stay very stiff. That can also effect your extension. Try not to be discouraged. I too have been depressed and discouraged, but I think it was bc I was just expecting too much, too fast. You'll be fine. Just be patient with yourself. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, I was 55 when I had mine done now 10.5mths post op .. still having issues but remember your surgery is still new and don't expect miracles .. this is a long journey that we are traveling .. longer for some than others.  Your bend will come just keep doing your exercises and you'll continue to improve.  For me it's been one hell of a journey and am dreading the next knee being done .. however I've learnt alot from this experience and I was told upfront from my surgeon that recovery time is anywhere from 12-18mths .. so that still gives you such a long time for recovery and reaching your goals.  Remember after everytime you exercise especially in these early days to elevate and ice, ice, ice .. I was always icing.  And I bought a leg wedge and slept with that for quite a months due to swelling in feet and lower leg as well.

Naturally your mental health may play a role also in recovering but I know it's easy to say (but I also suffer with depression/anxiety at the passing of my daughter) but you have to just make sure that you keep up with your exercises and icing and you will definately get there.  I had a fall on my knee 8days post op readmitted to hosp for 5 days and only allowed out of the bed for the bathroom .. ended up with a darn hip bursitis which I've had for close on 5mths now .. but all that aside and having to take things easy .. I would've loved to of had a ROM of 125% by now but it's 110% surgeon is happy so I'm happy .. due to other knee being in just as bad as a condition that also hinders alot of exercises where both knees are needed .. but I push along and I know in the end I'll make it.

This forum is fantastic just wish I had of found it b4 my op and not just a month ago...  Take care and I wish you all the best, Tracey

• Posted

Hi tijim, yes it is a long journey. RTKR JUNE 2014 , LTKR SEPT 2014 . Glad to hear your first knee surgery is doing good. You should get that other one done if it's holding you back . I did surgeries 3 months apart, was as soon as doctor would let me do it. Both of my knees were really bad. There was not a good or bad knee before surgery. So I couldn't really work on real recovery with out both knees. I feel I was very fortunate in my recovery, never had any serious pain with either knee and doctor said they were really bad, bone on bone. Out patient Physical therapy started after staples came out, about 3 weeks I think, slow at first all about ROM. In my second surgery, left one, my knee cap was fractured, doctor trying to bend new knee but apparently muscles too tight. Just one of those things that can happen. Had to wait about 6 weeks for bone to heal before could really start physical therapy. What I'm trying to share here is that you should really move forward with fixing you're other knee. About a year after second surgery I was really back to 100%. I really wish you the best it is so great to have both knees back. Dave

• Posted

Thanks Dave really appreciate your input smile have an appt to see surgeon in 3 wks and he'll decide then, had the same problem as you one as bad as the other and dr just chose one to do... mine were  due to being run over by a truck of all darn things!  Sat around waiting for the governments road insurance injury claims to approve surgery for 6yrs .. surgeon wasn't too happy as in that time I gained weight due to being unable to hardly move. 

Totally agree with you I really need the left one done so I can make a full recovery of both knees.  Glad to hear that you've had successful surgeries. Tracey

• Posted

That's unbelievable you've had to wait that long for government insurance, but you're moving forward now. Good luck and a healthy recovery, it's a journey but you'll get there. The support from all the great people here will help. Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.