Pain and Arthritis

Posted , 10 users are following.

I read a post on here the other day regarding Pain and Arthritis. It seems some clever people are disputing that osteo arthritis causes pain or is painful! I had this said to me by a physiotherapist the other day and I replied that it DOES cause pain and IS painful! I can only speak from my own experience of course but if "ITIS" means inflammation and inflammation causes pain, WHAT are these people saying? That it's all in our mind it seems! In my own case the OA is spinal and caused by Scoliosis, I have trapped nerves especially in the coccyx, sacroileac region and thoracic spine and neck! Dreadful pain, I can hardly move in the mornings for several hours due to PAIN and stiffness. I cannot bend to do various houshold tasks or gardening, the pain makes me feel sick and sweaty and dizzy. My hands are so stiff and painful I can't use them for long at a time. Hips, knees, feet, shoulders, elbows are affected too now!  A GP's nurse asked me during a health check why I needed a home help!!! rolleyes I'd like to start a discussion about the Pain/Arthritis question if anyone would like to respond and give their experiences and views. Hopefully the Medics/physio's/nurses etc will read the posts and understand exactly what we suffer, 24/7. I look forward to all responses. Pollyanna UK

3 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Morning Pollyanna.  If you think rheunatologists, doctors, nurses will listen to us, you are on the wrong track.  They believe in juvenile arthritis but not in old age OA - after all, ALL old people have aches and pains, they just learn to get on with it - or SHOULD!!😡  Until they themselves start to suffer from it they just don't believe it can possibly be as bad as their patients think.

Luckily there are quite a number of doctors who DO take it seriously - not many rheunies though - as we can WALK into their surgeries we obviously aren't that bad!??  

Ah well!  It's good to know it's all in our heads, we just need a good night's sleep and all will be well!

🌲🍾🍸. Have a great, pain free (well you know what I mean) Christmas.

Regards from Constance

• Posted

Hello Pollyanna, I have had Arthritis since the age of 11, starting with Septic Arthritis and now Osteo Arthritis. I can say that Arthritis is very painful. Most of my life i have tried various treatments including drugs and acupunture. I am 60 and have already had my left knee replaced twice and this Wed i am having a partial knee done. If there was no pain from Arthritis then why when the knee is replaced you are virtually pain free. My friend had a hip replacement recently,he was in agony and could barely walk, he is now pain free. I have never come across any consultants or surgeons that have disputed my pain. My GP as always understood and believed me also. 

I am sorry that you have so much pain in so many joints. I wish you all the best.

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna, I had osteoartritis for 5yrs in my foot, I had a brace made by prostetetics specifically to fit my foot which I wore for 3 yrs. This took my pain from a 9/10 to 7/10. I worked 12 hr days, it was horrible. I had cortizoze with no help, was going to try PRCP but I had no cartlige. I had surgery on 6/29/16, immediately after surgery I had NO pain! Oh but there is no such thing as artritis when we age, then why did I instantly after surgery have NO pain. If a Orthopedic Dr does not believe you have arthritis, demand an Xray. That will show the facts! For now, best of luck, ice seems to help. What is the vow Dr's take "Thou shall do NO harm". Good luck to you & Happy Hollidays!

Mary

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna!

Osteoarthritis surely IS painful! Deterioration of cartilage and subsequent bone-on-bone rubbing makes for substantial pain.

I suffered for five years as I followed insurance protocols ( X-rays, PT, cortisone shot, pain medications, more X-RAYS etc.) which only briefly handled my pain.

I became frustrated and stopped seeing doctors entirely for awhile.

Severe stabbing pain in May 2015 forced me back to see an orthopedic surgeon. I THOUGHT he would say, "Time to do arthroscopic surgery." Instead I was told that I was FINALLY a candidate for KNEE REPLACEMENTS!

Some people may have been devastated hearing that news, but I was THRILLED! I just KNEW that all of the dog and pony show I had been experiencing was like putting a bandaid on a broken arm. I needed new knees.

In June and October of 2015 I GOT my new knees! Sure there was some discomfort with surgery and subsequent recovery, but I finally have my life back. I can stand, walk, shop for hours, enjoy my garden, and SLEEP without agonizing knee pain.

I have arthritis in other joints (hips, back, fingers, shoulders, ankles, elbows), but those knees were really bad. SO HAPPY I finally could get them replaced!

Pain with arthritis is REAL.

Ignore ignorant people who discount your pain.

Focus on relieving your pain. Find sympathetic doctors who want to help you rather than those who want to play down your concerns.

Wishing you pain relief for the VERY REAL pain you are experiencing!

• Posted

I'm 64 and had both hips replaced due to arthritis. I also have arthritis in my lumbar spine and cervical spine. Not to mention the bone spurs that hurt like crazy. My whole body hurts 24/7. Oh and I have arthritis in my thoracic spine.

I think that whoever thinks arthritis doesn't hurt has never had it. A lot of people who have arthritis also has rheumatoid arthritis which also causes pain and disfigured bones.

I commiserate with you and hope you find relief soon.

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies. I knew the pain was not just in my mind but apparently 'some' physios and other professionals do not agree. I shall print these answers and show her at my next appointment. It does seem to be a school of thought though lately with some people. As you say, they've obviously NOT got Arthritis! Probably young, unexperienced students or post grads who think they know everything better than us, the patients. Thanks again, Pollyanna. X smile Keep em coming, the more people who respond, the better for all! rolleyes

• Posted

Hi ive got osteoarthritis in both knees and hands. Anyone that says it's not painful is talking rubbish. I now can't walk without a stick cos my knees give way. My ot got me a wet room and anything thing else I need I'm only 39 and all ready my my joints are out of shape myour pinkie sticks right out.

• Posted

Hi Katrina. You are young to be so bad. I started with it in my 40's and found out about the scoliosis in my 50's. Since then it's been downhill all the way. I can't help thinking it's the government at the bottom of this so they can cut down on benefits and health bills again! twisted I bet you have problems with employment too. I'm 73 now so on retirement pension but was turned down for disability payment before 65. I've had my bathroom fitted with wet room too. Much easier, I was struggling to get in and out of the bath, that was about 10 years ago. Hope you have a good Christmas and not too much pain. X rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna,

I was diagnosed on new year’s eve with osteoarthritis in my hip and lower back so I’m new to this .

When I attended the hospital I told them that I could only compare the pain I was in to the same as giving birth to my second son which took 27 hours in labour and with a dry birth as a result.

I’m sure that the doctors are aware of the Pain this disease can cause as on my description they had no problem  sending me straight away for an x-ray and making a diagnosis.

I think that some medical staff find it easier to pretend that no pain is involved so as to lighten their work load. Sadly they still get paid either way.  Although  if you want to put in a complaint about an employee of a company such as the NHS or any other company for that matter. You are entitled to and once the complaint has been made, the company are legally obliged to investigate.  If people in our position were to do this every time it happened then the staff may think twice about the way in which they treat people with osteoarthritis. wink

Regards Rozie

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Rozie. I think sometimes it depends on our age and whether the GP surgery will fund all the tests and treatment which may be needed. All surgeries are on a fairly tight budget these days due to 'cuts'! I think they often concentrate treatments on younger people once they have a diagnoses as they have to get them back to work. I, being retired no longer contribute to the  budgets. The fact that I and other elderly people have contibuted in the past, all our working lives does not seem to mean anything to some local authorities, government and other folk who dictate what shall be spent on which patients. Funding for the elderly is very poor in some post code areas. I would worry about complaing about any member of staff as I could possibly be asked to leave and and go elsewhere (further away) for treatment. Not really an option for me as I don't drive and being somewhat disabled I have to use taxis to get anywhere lately. (More expense)!  Medical staff can't be seen to have empathy with patients, some might take advantage so they stay very clinical with patients. Regards, Poll. rolleyes

• Posted

Morning Pollyanna.  I get a bit concerned when I read the difficulties people have with the NHS in England - because of Brexit!  Our health insurance over here is covered by the NHS (because we have a British pension - albeit, small).  But thank goidness we have as private insurance is extremely expensive.  We have lived in Germany for 46 years so it would be more than difficult to return to England.  Apart from the fact that we could possibly only afford to buy a garage to live in!!!  We had a lovely three bedroomed detached house when we left!!!!

Regards fr Constance. 💐

• Posted

Hi Constance. It must be a worry for you and other expats in Europe. Wish I could help or advise but no one here seems to know anything yet. The Gov are being very close mouthed about plans, (if indeed they have any!) lol twisted I don't know what will happen to any of us on pensions after BREXIT! The 'cuts' were not supposed to affect the elderly, disabled or vulnerable but these are the ones who seem to be most affected! (Lower income bracket). The north of England, Scotland and Wales seem to have the lowest property prices. Could you top up the NHS with a private insurance? Not sure how these things work but my sister in OZ does this as her daughter is disabled and they get better care with the topup. A belated Happy New Year to you all. xsurprised

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna, for me this is a topic of immense importance and frustration as it seems that mostly for every person who sympathizes with sufferers of OA,there are far more who tend to have that opinion that it's something age related and inevitable, therefore it just has to be accepted and causes only mild symptoms. I often wonder how those people (especially the consultants) would cope with the constant pain,stiffness,frustration of fingers not working like they used to (when trying to pick up something small for example) and the fatigue.....fatigue like you never imagined you could feel before this cruel disease struck. Just received a letter from my Neurosurgeon today about an MRI scan I had 4 months ago!! This was to rule out MS as I've had balance issues and constant pains,numbness and pins and needles in both arms and hands since last February. I have arthritis of spine and neck and if I turn my head it sounds like a cement mixer churning! I have multiple bulging discs and possible nerve root compression, but he states in the letter all of these are age related (I'm 49) and mild in nature!.... Arthritis has taken my life away! My job and my cheerful personality! Some days I stay in bed until lunchtime as the pain is so consuming. I'm going to ask to see a different consultant as I'm insulted by his words.

• Posted

Hi Janie. I have to agree with you on all counts including the personality changes. I feel so depressed lately with pain and stiffness.cry I was referred to a physio, (on the NHS,), she gave me some exercises for my shoulder pain and stiffness but said she can't help with the spinal and other problems I have due to OA. I'm in my 70's and started with all this in my late 40's with sciatica. What puzzles me is WHY they all keep saying arthritis isn't painful! Why is it Arthritis then? 'itis'  is inflammation which we all know is extremely painful in our joints and also affects the muscles which are put under great strain to compensate. Hydro-therapy with a physio helped me more than anything but the warm pools are few and far between in NHS hospitals now. One was closed here where I live and the other is in great demand so not much chance of a quick appointment these days. I just wish someone would come on this forum and say why they think OA is not painful as it's been said to me on several occasions now including by a physiotherapist. NOT TRUE!!! Good luck with another consultant but don't hold out much hope! sad

• Posted

To be honest, Pollyanna - I think doctors and rheumies just say that because they haven't got time (the 10 min appointments!😡wink to see all these 'old' people with their aches and pains.  They know jolly well that there is little they can do because of the system so they say these things so that we 'oldies' won't bother them!!  And, really, there is little they CAN do except refer you to a consultant and, guess what THEY have no time either!😡

I really am lucky to be living in Germany.  Once I went to see my doctor (about my very aggressive PMR) and he didn't know how to help me any further so he rang a consultant friend of his (who lived 500 kms away) for advice.  I was in the surgery 3 quarters of an hour  (goodness knows what the other patients waiting to see him thought!!

If I need to see my rheumi I ring his practice and they give me an appointment within 3 or 4 weeks.

If we had to return to England I think I would jump in the river first!!!🙁🙁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.