Pain and it stinks

Posted , 3 users are following.

Now I am in the wait and see mode for what type of surgery infection and revision or just revision. Based on the call from the Dr. my first set a labs looked good but I still need to wait 2 weeks to see if the other is okay. So mean time as in all day everyday PAIN!!! One thing I have noticed over time is the increase in pain I have in my problem knee. It does not change from one day to the next but going month to month yes it does. I have done nothing and my knee is just throbbing I can deal with lots of things but when my knee feels like it does now it just stinks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I wish you well and hope the healing can begin. I have a question for you and others: How does a successful TKR feel? After let's say 2 years, are we suppose to feel any discomfort/pain? I am 19 months post L. TKR and have issues with some pain and discomfort in the tibia/fibula bones when I lean over to touch the ground, pick up things in the yard. My TKR was Oct. 19, 2016 and I had the routine 6 week x-rays that show some small sliver of a gap in the tibia area (mine was a press fit TKR because I am allergic to the bone cement). The bone has to grow into the implant. I have always assumed the bone growing was the pain I feel? Anyway, I ask my PCP for a x-ray and I had it done today. She wrote me back saying: "Your L. knee x rays series showed findings that could suggest loosening of the tibia component of your knee prosthesis. The formal component appears intact. Kindly follow up with your treating orthopedic surgeon for your L knee and leg pain". I plan to make an appt. with the orho for follow up but the way I feel right now there is NO way I would let him go back in for another TKR!

• Posted

Hi Cementless

I remember you and I having our TKR around the same time I was September 2016 although I feel good I still have a little pain and stiffness now and again but I have never expected any different I can do virtually anything within reason without any pain which I couldn't do pre TKR,

I really hope you get a good result

I always look back to the days before I had my knee replaced and feel blessed the way I am today

Good luck.

• Posted

As many TKR's as I have had ( 5 ) you would think I would be able to answer that question? On average a TKR lasts me approx. 2 to 3 years that is it. May 9th was 2 years post op and still in lots of pain. Now I am waiting for lab results to determine which surgery is needed its great!!. If your x-ray shows the implant is loosening sooner or later it is going to fail based on my history of knee problems. If your not comfortable with your current surgeon you can always get another. Not every Ortho Dr. knows it all some are better then others some think they are beyond reproach. My last surgeon was great but he retired. I considered him a friend ( although it also seems he made a mistake with last TKR ) He referred me to another Dr. after a year or so my knee pain was increasing but this Dr. refused to do anything no matter how many times I called sent an e-mail nothing. Finally had enough found a better Dr. who referred me to my current Surgeon. The pain I am experiencing is in 2 spots L side of knee cap and about midway between knee and ankle. I can feel the rod inside the tibia moving it gets rather sore depending on what I am doing. Having knee issues stink but if your not comfortable with your current Dr. find someone else it can make a difference in a good way.

• Posted

Nwf, do you have what is called "osteolysis"? Apparently that is the main issue with loose implants.

• Posted

I have to ask it has never been mentioned?? Hope your weekend was better then mine for me the knee either hurt or it hurt a lot either way it was miserable. I called the Dr. office this morning and I already know the answer but asked anyway. The Dr. is waiting to see if anything develops with the culture once he gets the result surgery is scheduled. He does not want me to take anything stronger for pain since it makes things that much harder to control pain wise I get that as well. However understanding that does not help with the pain it sucks. I ice elevate take it easy etc take pain meds as directed. Life is just great!!
  • Posted

NWF, I am comfortable with my Ortho Dr. (he is the one all the doctors go to for their implants and comes highly recommended). My pain is more pressure pain midway between the knee and tibia area when leaning over picking up things on the floor. I do not feel ANY movement in the rod but feel soreness at times. Out of 5,000 TKR, I am the second one he has done cementless. I wish I could post a picture of my x ray on this website but do not know if you can post pictures here? I really don't think I can't emotionally handle another TKR and my other knee is fine. I may just have to live with this TKR as is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.