Pain and limited range of motion aster shoulder MUA. What seems to be normal recovery time?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had shoulder MUA done 12 days ago.  I have been in PT 7 of those days following the MUA with PT now scheduled for twice a week over the next 8 weeks, in addition to recommended home exercises with a stick and wall slides. My ROM is extremely limited when trying to reach behind my back.  It feels very locked still.  Note that I did not have arthroscopy with the MUA. I also have problems with the supine external and internal rotation.  Will I ever be able to gain full ROM again, or is this an unlikely expectation?

When my shoulder started the freezing phase, I didn’t know it was freezing, only that my arm felt better not to use it, as I had pain at night in both the arm and shoulder.  This of course, causing the shoulder to freeze more.  Now I know better, and to keep the arms in motion.  But, now after having the MUA, the pain is back at night big time.  I am in constant nest building mode with pillows in various positions, never mastering it for a great night of sleep.  Is this also something to be expected still 12 days out after MUA?  Will this night pain ever go away?  Am I going through reverse/unfreezing and is this pain just part of the new phase, or is it that my shoulder wants to freeze again?  Curious to know if this is what others have been experiencing as well and what their outcome has been in the long run.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barbara,, yes you will still be in pain for upto 2 weeks after the MUA. But with PT and home excerise it will go away. Buy yourself a set of rope pulley £6.99 from Amazon and use them ,, twice a day I did and I have now got about 75% back in motion. It took me almost 6 months to have movement back but I still suffer from some pain . Hope this will benefit u.

• Posted

HI Barbara

I had hydrodilatation in early November, everything was going very well with 3 times a week PT, accupuncture and the excersises at home, I too bought a pulley off amazon, unfortunately I developed an impingement which made any attempt at movement  very difficult by either myself or the PT to achieve. I was discharged by the PT as she was blunt and said I did not have typical frozen shoulder as she had seen many.... was sort of left in limbo then with the ROM decreasing and the pain increasing, things went massively backwards from then.  I have had this problem for well over 10 months , I felt I had no choice but to go back to see the ortho surgeon to ask what my options are now, he has listed me for an urgent arthroscopy, capsular release and MUA, have a look on the shoulder doc website, I have been doing a lot of  reasearch into the expected outcome from the surgery and have found this website very informative.

I would say definitely invest in a pulley, it will be very useful.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you, Jackie.  Best of luck with the arthroscopy and MUA.  Learning a FS sure takes time to get back to normal and for some, never the same,  Wishing you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.