Pain and recovery after laproscopy removal of both ovaries and both fallopian tubes.

Posted , 3 users are following.

What is to be expexted. Some posts I've read speak of this beaing the most painful operation ever. My surgeon has said nothing and brushed my concerns aside. Should I expect to be in agony and for how long as some of these posts speak of weeks.

Again posts have said recovery takes weeks or months. My surgeon says one to two weeks, who do I believe?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Laparoscopy & DaVinci surgery(Robot assisted Lap) are both MUCH easier than having abdominal surgery.

I had a Davinci/Abdominal because my fibroid & uterus was too big to remove vaginally. It has been 4 months now & I am fine. It was much less painful than I anticipated & easier to recover from than my C-section was with my last child.

My sister had Lap removal 2 months ago & she is fine as well!

There IS discomfort with any surgery. Your Dr. should handle it with prescription meds for about a week or two...then tylenol & ibuprofen is all you'll need after that.  

The gas pain happens 6-24 hours after surgery & can be worse than the inscision pain... ask them for Simethicone.. a gas relief tablet. If will be sharp pain in your ribs & often up into your shoulder. IT IS NORMAL, just breath & it passes fairly quickly. It's important that you get up & walk around ASAP!  it helps eliminate that gas & gets your circulation going. You'll heal quicker!

Don't stress about it. Just be sure to rest when you get home & don't lift anything heavier than a jug of milk or do ANY chores until you have your follow up visit & are cleared by your Physician. This is usually 4-6 weeks after surgery.

My sister returned to work after 3 weeks. I was fine at about 3 weeks as well.

You will be tired.

You may have twinges of pain here or there... its all normal.

If you start to bleed (a lot...not just spotting) then you are doing too much.

Just rest.

Read.

Sit in the sunshine & enjoy the sound of the birds.

Listen to to music that helps you relax.

Eat good nourishing food (fruits & veggies!)...Drink lots of Green tea & water!

You'll be feeling better before you know it.

All the best,

Pam

• Posted

Thank you for your your reply, unfortunatly the part that states -  don't lift anything heavier than a jug of milk ... until you have your follow up visit & are cleared by your Physician. This is usually 4-6 weeks after surgery. - means I must cancel the holiday booked on his one or two week recovery as it is only 16 days after surgery
    • Posted

Yes, travelling is NOT a good idea during this time of recovery. I had a trip 6 weeks after & it was fine. I still was careful lifting & needed some help.

I also forgot to mention what they call "swelly belly"... You will be puffy & swollen in the middle & it's every day for the first week or so... then you start to wake up a bit thinner in the middle but you swell up as the day wears on. It's normal.

Make sure you have stretchy, comfy pants/clothing to get through this period of time.  It can last 4-8 weeks as well.

• Posted

No large clothing and can't afford any.

The holiday is a one off convention that will never happen again

Now feel totally let down and am crying.

• Posted

Your only option seems to be to reschedule your surgery then.

I would talk to some friends & borrow some clothing or visit a second hand/resale store if you have those available. Maybe you could sell an item you own? A piece of jewlery or furniture? Or work some overtime hours or an odd job for extra money... you don't need much for a few clothing items.

Your health "should be" your main concern.

No need for tears though!!

Just do what you must.

• Posted

I am medically retired, cannot postpone due to raised cancer blood test markers and as this has been for a while everything I have has been sold to pay those I am in debt to from paying fees for proffessional training and equiptment.

Thanks for your reply but it seems my only option is to accept I was lied to, cancel the holiday - which also took along time to save up for, lose the money, be housebound as I have nothing to wear and depressed by it all.

• Posted

Do you have social services available to you? I would contact someone about you situation. There is always hope.

Take care.

• Posted

No faith in them. I contacted them for help caring for my mother who had Althzeimers, 7years later they decided they would do an assessment, she had been dead 2weeks.
  • Posted

Well I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 9 weeks ago and I feel completely fine. I was sore for a couple of weeks getting out of bed where I had to use my abdominal muscles but I felt really well and hardly any pain although the hospital give you two weeks of pain killers when they discharge you.   It was definitely no where near agony  for me.   I didn't have any bleeding at all but did find I had to rest quite a lot in the early days after the operation.  I would listen to your surgeon and try not to worry too much and get stressed, hard I know but the lead up to the operation is the worst bit. I'm sure you will be absolutely fine. Xxx
  • Posted

Just a quick update. Not had bloating or swelly belly but only just able to come off painkillers and get up for a few hours. Should have bee in hospital for one night but ended up as a week due to uncontrollable,severe pain. Op nearly 3 wks ago. Fortunatly the convenrion was changed to 25th Oct so should now be able to go

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.