Pain and spasms/foot jumping surgery over 3 months ago.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had bunion surgery over three months ago, I have always had pain in the metatarsal/arch since surgery and stiffness in the ankle. Approximately 3 weeks ago the metatarsal pain has started waking me at night and seems to be worsening. At first I could just stretch and move my ankle and foot and it would help. Now I have started getting spasms and jumping of the foot. This stops once I stand up and get moving. At first the spasms were when I laid down at night, now it's also happening when I wake up.

I have read where other's said they had this when they first had the surgery but the spasms for me started 3 months post op.So far having bunion surgery has been a mistake. I've been going to physical therapy for nearly 2 months and it has helped a lot but now I seem to be going backwards.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

HI DARNA

I had surgery 3 years ago and I also get spasm in my foot when I LIE DOWN.

Funnily enough I am going to see the CONSULTANT again tomorrow about it.

My one foot has gone back the way it was and the other one is not much better.

• Posted

Hi Robyn

I have read of a few people's bunions going back to the way they were. I had my first op over 3 years ago and my bunion looked worse afterwards and pushed my little toe outwards so I had pain on both sides of my foot. The op was done by a podiatrist and at my last appointment, their suggestion was that I had my little toe amputated. I had the bunion done again last December by an orthopaedic surgeon and had a fusion operation this time, which has been a success. I will have my toes straightened in a year's time by him. Do you think there is more chance of the toe staying as it is after a fusion op, compared with the normal bunion op? I do hope there is something they can do for you and Darna

• Posted

Please let me know what you find out. My physical therapist thought possible from swelling but I'm not so sure. it seems to definitely be nerve related

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.