Pain and stiffness

Posted , 9 users are following.

Its week 10 after TKR. My knee hurts when doing stairs, getting up from sitting position, and bending it when doing exercises. Also so stiff in morning and after sitting. Will i ever feel better?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes, dont worry Lots more improvements happen as it gets stronger.
  • Posted

Hi Donna

Your doctor may be able to prescribe something for the pain. I don't know what exercises you do but try giving yourself a day off, total relaxation, and try massaging your knee for 5 minutes every day with baby oil 

• Posted

I’m 10 weeks also and have The same issue as you. Mine constantly aches also! I massage my knee with cream and still take a pain pill, along with Ibuprofen every day, which seems to help somewhat! Massaging helps the best though ! I go back to work in a few weeks and it scares me to think I will still have this! I’m sure it will take a long time to recover, don’t forget the knee went through a lot of trauma in surgery, so it will take a long time to heal! 
  • Posted

Give it time. When i had TKR 5 years ago they said it would be about a yesar before I really began to feel the benefit and I reckon that was about right. Sorry if that sounds a long time to you right now but better to be honest and realistic than expect too much too soon. Are you having physiotherapy?

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you. I am having PT twice a week. 3degrees straight. Bent is only 105. The bend hurts like crazy. Lol.
  • Posted

I am 12 weeks TKR, I feel same as you, my ROOM yesterday was 120 but still have not done stAirs correctly. Still in P.T. Still have pain at night I don't get any more then 3 hrs of sleep. I too can wait to say I'm glad I did this. Can't say it now. I go to Dr today for 3 month follow up will be interesting.

• Posted

At ten weeks, you've barely begun your recovery.  This will take a year...make the commitment.  First comes PT to get you your ROM back, then a lot of exercising to rebuild the strength in your dead quads, glutes and core, and finally using that strength to climb stairs normally again.  Click on my name and "See All Discussions"...I have full posts on all of these components.

Time, work and patience...those are the keys to recovery.

• Posted

I'm at 13weeks today TKR, is there a point in time where you will be able to kneel on the replacement?

Still having terrible time trying to sleep at night any suggestions. I don't understand why it feels good during the day but at night it explodes with annoying pain.

• Posted

It's because it's only been 3 months...a full recovery takes a year.  Pain comes and goes...the recovery is NOT linear.

You can kneel on the knee at any time...it's metal.  The problem is the surrounding nerves.  I'm almost 2 years post-op and I still get tingling when I kneel on a hard surface...so I avoid that.  4" foam pad indoors; padded tactical knee pads outside.  Some oldtimers say that it eventually goes away...I don't believe it.  Small to pay.

• Posted

Thank you for the info I get more answers from you then the Dr. I guess I'm impatient. I haven't been able to sleep in our room since October, still not any closer.

• Posted

Thanks. Another question, did your foot swell on the operated leg? Mine has and all they say is it's NORMAL.

• Posted

Mine didn't...others have that issue...you can never tell...

• Posted

Hi Donna, I am now 16 weeks post tkr. Unfortunately I am experiencing all of your problems still. I cannot straight leg lift and my bend at a push is 110. I am just hoping that with time things will get better!

Teela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.