Pain and stiffness 7mnths post TKR

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my left knee replaced 7months ago and still have a lot of ?ligament pain,stiffness and my range of movement is only comfortable to 90 degrees. I have had an X-ray to check alignment and a scan to look for any soft tissue problems both of which were negative. I feel disheartened and disabled. Should I see my GP again?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How old are you? Are you Doing any stretching? Muscle strength building?  What is  your Programme ?

Regards, Mark

• Posted

I am 58. I don't have a programme...physio discharged me a while back now. I am back at work as a midwife so am doing a fair amount of walking,bending etc. 
  • Posted

I am in a simular position after having had a TKR on my right knee 3 and a half months ago, I also only have a 90 degree bend and cannot straighten my leg completely. My consultant tells me there is nothing else can be done and this maybe the best  it  will get, he tells me this now, he certainly didn't tell me this pre-op as I may well have never had the operation.

As you may be gathering I am not a happy bunny and this week I am going to contact some private physio's to see if they maybe able to help and to ascertain the cost, also I have asked my GP to contact the hospital with a view to me having some hydrotherapy.was this ever offered to you?

Has your consultant discussed with you the procedure whereby you are put under anasthetic and they bend your leg forcefully,

did you attend physio classes and do you still do any exercises,

all these questions, anyway all the best with it.

I think we may both have to patient and hope for improvement.

Regards,

Bill.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply,Bill. The Consultant who did my surgery was very "old school"and,although I was an NHS patient,my care was in a local private hospital. The local Trust farm out some NHS work to keep the waiting lists down and the wait was much shorter for TKR this way.Consequently,I feel a bit shy to return!

i did have 3 months of physio,including hydrotherapy,but don't have a regime as such just every day living and working (as a midwife so quite active!).

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a tough time too....it seems that TKR is great for most but some,like us,continue to have problems.

• Posted

All knees are different and there is no guarantee that recovery time will be the same. My wife had both knees replaced at the same time and was playing tennis 5 months later. My TKR was 11 months ago and I only have 95 degrees  (albeit that I had complications with PVNS requiring a total synovectomy at the same time). Age is also a factor, I was 69 and recovery is undoubtedly longer.

Keep exercising within sensible bounds and improvement will come. Physio can only do so much and then you are on your own to carry on with the exercises you are shown. My greatest steps forward came after 7 months, when I despaired of ever getting back on the tennis court. My aim is now Autumn for playing. You will have follow up appointments with your surgeon. Talk to him about your progress. I have my one year appointment in a few weeks. Armed with information from this and other web sites you should have plenty to talk about.

• Posted

Thank you for your encouraging words. I have only had one routine follow up at 6 weeks post op and was discharged at that visit. The physio referred me back when the pain continued. Perhaps this is a case of "postcode lottery"for follow up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.