Pain and swelling 5 1/2 mths post op ankle surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 5 1/2 mths in after ankle surgery. The pain is there all the time and can get very painful after walking even a short distance. Swelling is bad around and over the top of my ankle and looks really ugly. For the past 5weeks I haven't seen any progress whatsoever. Seem to of cone to a complete halt on any recovery. I've had 4 weeks off physio while waiting for appt with my ankle consultant and knee consultant, after she referred me back. But as yet I've not heard anything from either one. I have my nxt appt with physio next Friday and was hoping to show her some form of improvement!!! Really bad day today and feeling rather sorry for myself while I look at this swollen painful Ugly ankle/foot. 😔 😔

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sandra

Please can you remind us what surgery you had done.

All the best

Richard

• Posted

Pins and plates both sides....smashed outside up pretty bad so a lot of work done on the outside of m ankle. But thats not where im getting most pain. Im getting a lot of swelling there, but the most painfulsadl part is at the back of my heel. Feels really tight so not allowing me to walk without very bad limp.sx
    • Posted

Dear Sandra

Thanks for explaining.  Very sorry to hear, it sounds pretty tough for you.  Hope you feel some improvement sooner rather than later.

Best wishes, Richard

• Posted

I'm the same way! That back tendon is a son of a b***h! I lock up at a point going forward too. I know it's going to take time. I saw chiropractic yesterday because my back and hips are off from the stupid boot. Just take your time and don't rush your body! Listen to it. It's going to let you know how far to push it. I take lots of hot baths to help with back pain and it helps the ankle relax.  I also massage my ankle a lot, especially that back area. Also walk forward and backward in the house with gripper socks. I even use my walker to help stretch that back tendon out. My surgeon said realistic time span of healing is a yr and he's a great dr! Doesn't allow me to over do things. I really do wish you the best! This forum sure has been a great help that's for sure! 🙏🏼🙏🏼😇😇💕

• Posted

Thank you. It's a long hard haul, hardest thing I've ever been through. 😔. Sx

• Posted

Same Diane. Mine locks going forward giving me a feeling that it's giving way? They should explain everything to us before leaving hospital about what to expect, instead of just leaving us to our own devices. This is so hard. Thought I was doing well at 60. Was feeling 40 on my birthday in January. But since my fall first week in April I'm now like an old decrepit old lady. With a big fat ugly ankke/foot. 😔 😔. Sx

• Posted

I do have a lot of foot soaks with Epson salts which helps but so short lived a only Eased for about hr or so. Can't get down into my bath due to back problems myself too, I could struggle to get dwn and end up with a flooded bathroom and would never be able to get out!! Used to love my bubble baths with candles and glass of wine... Sandie time!!! Now quick shower for me 😔 😔,

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain but I get it! I am 21 wks post op going through the same! Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hey Sandra, I just wanted to check in on you! I hope today is a better one for you! I got out for a drive and lunch with my 18 yr old daughter. She's my caretaker and a trooper through all of this. My ankle is very stiff today due to the weather. I'm not looking forward to winter. I hate the cold as it is let alone I know what it's going to be like having the hardware in my ankle. I've got to buy some alpaca socks that's for sure. I see my surgeon Wednesday so I made an appointment to get fitted for some new shoes. I'm pretty sure he's going to let me out of the boot. Are you still wearing a walking boot outside? Well I hope you're doing better today! Take care! 🙏🏼🙏🏼

• Posted

Hi Diane thanks for yr reply. It's been a bad few days for me. Both daughters live quite a while from me and also are very busy with the children, hubby works around the clock and my son has just past his driving test so is out visiting mates or been working on filming weddings, so spending a lot of time alone. Since my son left school he hasn't had luck of finding a full time job, but has had the odd job filming weddings and music videos but had been home a lot and had been my saviour since my fall in April. He's been out a lot this past week since passing so been feeling very alone. Although we have a bus stop at the end of our road it's too far for me to walk plus don't think I could manage the step up/dwn from bus, plus got to be honest with myself, I couldn't even do anything once I got into town anyway. So stuck in this bloody house. Hubby wanted me to go out for a drink today, inside I really wanted to go but the thought of having to get up in the pub to walk to the loo with this horrible limp put me off going. I hate it. I'm really not wanting to go out now and find every excuse not to go, the odd times I have been out I just can't wait to get back home. 😢 😢. This has been the most horrible experience if my life and just can't see the end. I'm no longer in boot, I've been out of it for about 10 weeks or more? I walk without aids but the limp is really bad. Hoping this week is better. I have my nxt appt on Friday with my physio but she's not going to be happy as I haven't progressed since my last visit which was 5 weeks ago!! 😢 😢 sorry for the Downer but this is me lately. Thank God for this forum for me to have a good old moan, and thank God for kind people like yourself for yr concerns. Sx

• Posted

Sames you with weather getting colder. Are you finding it's aching more? Good luck with your appointment and fingers Xsd that the boot comes off and placed right at the back of the wardrobe!! What shoes are you getting measured for? I can't get into any of mine so stuck with granny dapers. 😔 😔 I'm hoping the ankle goes dwn a lot by the time it's really cold as I love my boots so won't be happy if u can't get to wear them. Best last year and nice and flat. Good luck for Wednesday. Sx

• Posted

Dear Sandra

I'm so sorry that you were having such a bad time and feel so cut off.

Is it possible to have some friends round during the day to have something to look forward to and help you with tasks that you are finding a struggle to do. Just thing out aloud really.

All the best

Richard

• Posted

I'm thinking of getting a pair of brooks tennis shoes. They have a wider support so your arch doesn't drop. They also fit wider. My foot is very swollen and I usually just wear slippers. As for your depression, never apologize for how you feel. Im disabled due to having rapid cycling bipolar disorder and my depression was literally trying to kill me for 2 wks straight! I haven't had s bought like that in over a year. This drunk driving accident that caused my injuries did alot more than just physical stuff to me. When I need to cry(which is daily) I do it! I too am very lonely. My husband is an over the road truck driver and my daughter is a full time college student and works 3 days a wk at an after school program with underprivileged kids.  Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I live in Wisconsin. Also by chance do you have a Facebook account?  Maybe we can message each other for uplifting help! I know it's a pain to go out and about but you need to! Do not allow this to consume you! We have to now reprogram our minds to work with our broken bodies. At least sit outside and allow the sun to hit your face. Try meditation. This is when I spend my time praying, thinking about how far my body has come, talking to my angels and literally focusing on the good energy coming into my body to help it heal. Just know that you are NOT alone in all of this! I hope today gives you peace! Talk to you soon. 🙏🏼😇🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.