Pain and swelling following tooth extraction with abscess

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a back upper tooth extracted one week ago as it was painful and had an abscess under it.Extraction was easy dentist said tooth came out completely although it cracked. Cavity healing but gum on outside next to cheek has lump on it. Getting pain strangely from midday onwards intermittently particularly when drinking hot liquids. Now on holiday in Caribbean saw dentist on Sunday before leaving who said he thought it was cavity swelling and would go in time.Gave me antibiotics to take but can not drink with them !

Should I just be patient and cope with this pain or take the 5 day course ?The pain seems to radiate down my mouth to the lower teeth,any advice would be helpful please ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I can see your dilemma but it’s essential that you take the antibiotics you’ve been prescribed. 

I don’t think you would have been given them unless they were absolutely necessary so you should 100% take the antibiotics, get better and then hopefully in 5 days time enjoy a nice glass of wine to celebrate !!

• Posted

Sorry Jane i should have included that the dentist said these are in case you need them..the antibiotics that is ..but you shouldn't need them . Thats why im asking thanks 

• Posted

Hi again Linda,

I see, that makes it really tricky, putting the onus on you.

I also had an extraction of a back upper molar which I’d accidentally cracked in half without being aware. (I just knew I’d bit on something hard and my filling had fallen out)

To cut a long story short I’ve had loads and loads of problems (abscesses, dry socket, salty discharge, and my mouth just not feeling right so I’m now waiting for a referral to a big London hospital for further investigation. 

If you’ve got pain and swelling it sounds like an infection so I would definitely take the antibiotics but I’m speaking after having such a nasty experience myself so I’m erring on the side of caution.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday!! 

Kind regards Jane 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.