Pain and tenderness coming back after appendectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI, I had my appendix out via keyhole surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago. My appendix hadn't ruptured but it was chronically inflamed as I apparently had appendicitis in September but was wrongly diagnosed in hospital.

Everything seemed to be healing ok and the pain was easing, but exactly 2 weeks after the op I noticed the site where my original pain was had become very sore and tender again, and I then also got what felt like muscle pain under my ribs. I saw my GP and got signed off work for a couple more days, and he sent me for urgent bloods. My bloods all came back fine but he told me to go to A&E if I was still in pain on the Saturday (yesterday) as he thought the pain should have gone by this time. The pain eased again and was fine until yesterday afternoon, after I had taken a train journey and walked more than I have for a while. Now I am very sore again. Is it possible I have just done a bit too much and strained myself? I don't want to go to A&E as the pain isn't bad enough to feel like an emergency but I really don't know what's happening. Does this sound normal? I'm really anxious and frustrated as I've been in pain since September and I thought everything would have resolved by now!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have same problem. Mine on left side of stomach under incision from appendectomy. Had mine out in oct. feels like when I walk or rum & get pain. Like a knot. When I went back for check up dr said I was o k & that pain could last up to a year. Wakes me up at night. Is this normal

• Posted

I also have a lot of pain under one of my incisions but the others are ok! Sounds like maybe what we're experiencing is normal but it is worrying!

• Posted

My appendix ruptured in June, I had appendectomy and bowel resection.  I'm still having pain and tenderness in my lower right abdomen.  My doctor said , it's going to take time.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this - must be horrible to have it for so long. Thanks. You too!
  • Posted

Hey Rachel, I'm experiencing the same thing for nearly three years, did you find an answer?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.