Pain and the 4 Week Anniversary

Posted , 4 users are following.

I visited the dr today - he removed the bandage and reapplied a gauze and cover along with a bunion splint.  

He tried to wiggle around my big toe and the pain was awful.  He said the pain "should not be that bad at this point."  

He prescribed a second round of antibiotics (the incision is not closed ).

He wants me to start "Frankenstein walking" on the foot and wean off the crutches.  The pain when even heel walking with crutches is excruciating.  It feels like a board of nails being driven into my heel.  Like a splintering pain that spreads through the foot.  He did say do not do any walking motions that move your toes.

Back to him in 7 days for X rays to see if the bones fused. 

Is this what any of you also experienced?  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cecil, 

So sorry to hear that you're having a bit of a bad time.  It should be closed by now but infection will delay the healing so perhaps a second round of antibiotics will do the trick . The infection will not be helping the pain much either. Are you managing to rest ? Sounds like you need to more than ever.

Not sure why he would be telling you to walk without crutches at this point ?

Lou x

• Posted

Yes I do not understand the push to walk.  I wondered if he wanted to "send me on my way" to PT next or if he is thinking the walking ("motion is lotion?") will limber everything up?  The pain is excruciating and I have a Pretty high pain threshold.  Watching football, cheering for England to get my mind off of the foot !
    • Posted

Yes just Tylenol and not that often (once every couple of days)
    • Posted

Blimey, first thing you need to do is take six hourly pain relief anti inflammation Brufen or similar, especially if you have an infection its a no brainer go take some now !!! ;-)
  • Posted

Cecil.

Oh deary me! you are having a rough old time.

Your Dr sounds like a bit of a challenege.

Has he/she ever experienced a bunion operation? I suspect not. And whilst a patient usually looks towards their GP for expert guidance and knowledge I think that on this occasion it's abundantly clear ( to meat any rate) that you need to stay off that foot to allow the incision chance to knit together and begin to heal/close up. Walking around, even 'Frankenstein walking', can in my view do nothing but delay your recovery. Also you may have added issues with your hips aching if you try to walk this way. The hips ache anyhow after this surgery due to the unnatural way we patients have to walk so puttng extra pressure on them isn't going to help. As for weaning yourself off the crutches, well, I just wouldn't even considering going there. I'd use those crutches for as long as yo feel you need to use them. It's bad enough trying to hobble around after bunion surgery without them without all the problems you're having. I know because I found it difficult and my surgery was straightforward and successful. The rule following bunion surgery is to heel walk wearing the special shoe that you're given to wear following the surgery AND the crutches is imperative but, as you are clearly unable to comfortably do this then to tell you to start weaning yourself off the crutches seems very unwise.

It sounds as though you have a bit of a journey ahead of you but with the antibiotics and staying off your feet as much as possible will only server to aid the recovery.

No! I think that you have been very badly advised and to be honest I think I'd be making an appointment to speak to another GP in the practice nd/or ry to speak to the secdretary of the consultant who carried out your surgery.

Don't be afraid.

Best of luck!

Gillian 

• Posted

Thank you Gillian!  The pain while heel walking is not bad, the first step terrible, but then it loosens up.  I am not going to give up my crutches and I am nowhere near close to Frankenstein walking.  

What at I am having a very hard time with is the unbelievable pain at night.  It starts about 45 min after I go to bed, foot elevated.  The pain is level 9-10 and I have not slept much in the last  2 nights.  I am assuming this is from activing the nerves and using the leg again. 

• Posted

Doing pretty good,  Lou.  Pain every night, lots of swelling and having a hard time returning to putting some weight on it.  All normal I suppose!  Back Thursday for X-rays to see if the screws are where they should be.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about the tough time Cecil.  There is nothing wrong with taking pain medication, especially at night.  Something like ibuprofen that deals with both inflammation and pain may be helpful. I do hope you can get some sleep....everything is worse in the day if not well rested. Nor does healing take place effectively if body fighting pain and/or fatique.  Wishing for you steady improvement from here. smile
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about the tough time Cecil.  There is nothing wrong with taking pain medication, especially at night.  Something like ibuprofen that deals with both inflammation and pain may be helpful. I do hope you can get some sleep....everything is worse in the day if not well rested. Nor does healing take place effectively if body fighting pain and/or fatique.  Wishing for you steady improvement from here. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.