Pain and weakness following physio session

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm having weekly physio sessions at the momet, but on the day after physio I am absolutely shattered! I had new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea 13 weeks ago and although knee is healing well I'm now having trouble with my muscles that wasted due to wearing a knee support for a number of years.

My question is, does anyone else feel worse after physio?. I'm fine whilst I'm there, can do all the exercises and feel quite elated when I come home. It's the following day when I feel as if I've gone back three weeks with my progress, feel weak all over and get very weepy. I've no idea what's going on.  I also have fibromyalgia so am also wondering if too much exercising is exacerbating this.

Yet something else to try my patience!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

yep im always shattered the day after physio .i think it is because you give it your all when your there and as you say i always feel a buzz after it  ,its like a session after the gym it makes you feel good that you worked so hard.my physio is dutch and im irish he always says that catholics are brought up to believe that if it hurts it must be good for you which i think we do he thinks we are all abit crazy  ha!!!!! back to physio yes i do feel worse somtimes and yes i got despondent ,fed up,and felt it didnt do me much good if i hurt so much the next day  but i kept going and its made a great difference so hang in there
  • Posted

I'm always drained and feel miserable till I rest and ice. Give it an hour and then I start coming back. I don't think therapy is like going to t h e gym for a workout and feeling like you're ready to take on the world. You are already in pain when you start and therapy just exacerbates the feeling.
  • Posted

I think it's fairly general . . not really something to worry about.  I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, although not sure if I really have it . . . I was always terrible after hydrotherapy . . only had about four phsyio sessions, right at the beginning, and hated it!  sadists!!!
    • Posted

I'm a bit like you with fibromyalgia diagnosis - I was initially told I had it in 1996 (when I'd never heard of it and now it's common). It was thought I had rheumatoid arthritis like my younger sister, but I hadn't. My fibromyalgia comes and goes and I've been on the forum on this site for fibromyalgia and some people really suffer horrendous symptoms, so at least I'm not in that bracket.......yet......and hopefully never! 

Anyone in any medical capacity at moment seems to be a sadist lol! 

• Posted

I know we real people that have had good luck with lyrics. It's still a fairly expensive drug as it is still under the new drug protection phase but it's been on the market 10 yrs or so. It works on the nerves and the simple explanations seem to be that barriers are formed someway to break up the pain. Its kind of a 2nd generation gabrepentin.
    • Posted

V ery much like me.  I am never really without pain though . .always have to move slowly because fast movements seem to hurt. . but sometimes I am almost pain free, others just turning over in bed is quite a trauma!  As you say, though, it comes and goes.  I wouldn't say I am in the group who really suffer terribly . . it's more of a continual annoyance.  My husband doesn't really believe me when i say that things like taking blood pressure actually cause quite bad pain . . but you do get used to it, don't you!  It's just part of life.  I do remember a couple of days, though, when I was totally pain free and it was wonderful!!!!
  • Posted

I always felt worse the day after my physio although I did well while I was there. I think I pushed myself so hard so that the next day I was just so shattered and in more discomfort and pain. I only had 3 sessions but continue the exercises at home. Got my 6wk check with consultant next Tues. so will see what he says.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.