Pain as I stand up

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am 8 weeks post op from a PKR. My knee bend is perfect and I can walk ok on my own. Here's my problem: if I sit for any length of time, when I stand and put weight on the knee, it is so STIFF I can barely straighten it. After I walk on it for awhile, I'm fine. Will the stiffness upon standing ever stop?  Is there any exercise that will stop this?  I'm finished with PT 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It will go down. Just part of the natUral process of healing.
  • Posted

Stiffness can last for more than a year. Don't get discouraged. It will improve eventually. Everything takes time.

• Posted

Hi Elaine!

Stiffness is a part of the game. I have stiffness nearly a year post surgery. Like yours, mine goes away after I move around.

Try this: BEFORE you stand, slowly work your ankle with ankle pumps. Next slowly move your leg and gently bend and straighten AS YOU ARE SEATED. When the leg feels less stiff, THEN stand. I regularly do this throughout the day if I have been sitting. REALLY helps me.

• Posted

I get the same stiffness, I'll try your suggestion, makes sense to me. Hang in there everyone and keep up the hard work towards good health..... Best, Kathy p ?????? ??

• Posted

I think it will help. Also, it prepares you TO stand up with confidence. That is important because we NEVER want to lose our balance and/ or fall!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.