pain associated with diverticulitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi everybody .  i just want to mention something i stumbled upon that really works for me and it starts taking the pain / ache away almost instantly .   i was out with the wife shopping and was also suffering with a flare up of dd .  we decided to have a drink in the cafe at m & s but as i was really thirsty i asked the wife to get me a bottle of water to quench my thirst .   when the wife came to the table i realised that she had got me a bottle of sparkling ( fizzy ) water instead of still water .  anyway , as i was really thirsty i opened it and drank about half the bottle in one go and noticed almost immidietly that my dd pain / ache was calming down and sure enough after about 10 mins it had stopped !!!   im guessing its the fizzy bubbles that go to the colon or wherever and the fizzing clears the waste from the dd pockets that theyve gathered in and which subsequently give the pain and ache .  on my last flare up i was just about to go to the doctors to get a prescription for some anti biotics but just before going through the door i drank half a pint of fizzy lemonade as quick as i could to get as many fizzy bubbles down there as quick as possible then set off for the 5 mins trip to the doctors but almost immediatly i felt it calming down and by the time i'd got to the doctors the pain / ache had subsided and all i was left with was being a bit tender which i can easily cope with .  i got the tablets from the doctor but ill keep those back and hopefully the fizzy drinks will do the job better .  they are so far !    any fizzy drink will do so long as its really fizzy .   anyway , i thought id share this as it works every time for me and its tablets free .   it works for me , i hope it works for you .   :-)

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Fizzy drinks don't help me when I have a flare up but I'm glad it helps you and maybe some others.

• Posted

I used to drink ginger ale but could never drink the whole can. The one I prefer only comes in cans. We found a fizzy, sugarless, no sodium, flavored water sold only at Walmart that's perfect. I never thought about the fizz cleaning out the pockets, I knew it would relieve me of the excess gas. I would only drink enough to quench my thirst. Still be careful though because the fizz could (depending on the severity of your disease) blow a hole in your colon, that's why I only drank a little. I had open cut sigmoid colectomy a little over 4 months ago still recovering but no more diverticulitis symptoms. I still drink the fizz water in moderation, even got my boyfriend drinking it and his sugar levels went back to normal. Good luck on your journey and do everything you can to avoid attacks. I refuse to refer them as flare ups.

• Posted

What a great report .... Don't know for sure if there's cause and effect in fizzy water, but I'm definitely going to try it !!

• Posted

i shared my experiance a couple of yrs ago on this site and i had a lot of people getting in touch saying , wow , it actually works for them as well .  obviously it won't work for everybody because the disease is more severe in some people but it works every time for me so i thought it might just be able to help someone else .   GOOD LUCK and i hope it works for other people on here as well .

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this information.  I have severe diverticular disease, and have pain often.  I'm going to try this!  

• Posted

Thanks for the tip but fizzy drinks don't work for me either...but glad it works for you and thanks for sharing as it may help some

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.