Pain at 18wks post ankle fusion

Posted , 16 users are following.

Ok Ankle fusion guys and gals, i had my fusion done 18wks ago and I know pain is very subjective but I was wondering roughly how much pain you were in at 18wks post op??

I have just come back from holiday and could hardly do a th! Every other day I had to have a day resting with my foot elevated.

I have just walked to dog once around the small park we live on and I'm in agony. I actually in worst pain now than I was before! Had my 12wk check up at 14wks and the joints had fused.

I'm so confused as to why the pain is this bad, I'm not sofa...had children without pain relief...but this is just horrendous I could actually cry!

I'm actually thinking of phoning my consultant up on Monday to ask what he thinks.

I would be so so grateful for all of your input please. Xx

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry for the spelling mistakes...my brain has been taken over by pain! 🙄

• Posted

No worries about spelling smile.  I spell and type like a 2nd grader. 
  • Posted

I'm so sorry for your difficulties ...my ankle was fused when I was 19 (31 yrs ago) and I remember it being a long road.  But at 18 weeks (after bones had fused) and when ever it was when I started putting weight back on it (problally around 15 weeks or so.  ...I recall a lot of soreness.  But I also recall a lot of rehab work to speed the process. ...from there, the soreness and pain started to dwindle until pain free.  

I've grown accustom to soreness and now, 31 yrs later the other joints (subtalar and navicular) need to be fused because last 2-3 years have been unbarable.   My surgery is schld for sept 26th.  

I would inquire about physical theory?   Question:  was it your "ankle" that was fused or another joint?

• Posted

Hi. Thank you for the info, yep it was my left ankle and I've had a bit of a long road to getting the fusion done too! How come you had yours done at 19? I'm pretty impressed that it has lasted 31yrs...maybe there is hope for me not to have anymore operations! 

It has been my 7th op in 14yrs on my ankle because of an ankle fracture that was missed from an X-ray when I was 13. It lead to 3 holes forming on the inside part of my ankle with multiple stress fractures and bone on bone ankle arthritis, which was all pretty awful to deal with. 

I've seen my Physio and I think because of my job (I'm a Sister on a Trauma Unit) she just assumed I knew what I was doing, which I don't! It's very very different being the patient and not the health care professional! 

We fix people up and then they have Physio after discharge, we do have a Physio team on the unit but as nurses we don't get involved. Thankfully I actually start hydrotherapy on Tuesday so I'll be able to ask more questions then I hope. 

It's weird as all the pain I had, which was on the inner aspect of my ankle has now shifted to the outer part, just below my ankle bone. I'm just hoping it's not the metal work that needs to be taken out. 

Really hope your op goes well, mine went so so well apart from the expected pain at the start. 

• Posted

Hang in there and I really feel by looking into a little physical therapy will help you as it did me 31 yes ago.   ....long story short, I chipped the cartlidge on a pogo stick when I was about 15-16 and several surgeries to try to fix didn't work due to it being a weight bearing joint ....they wanted to wait until I was done growing at age 19, them fused it. Now 31 + yrs later at 50 yrs old faced with the concesuses of the other bones (subtalar and navicular) compensating and now very arthritic and need to be fused.  I'm comfortable about the decision to fuse the next bones ... I'm just concerned about returning to work.  I have a desk job and employer will allow be to prop up....   im ok with crtuches and scooters etc.   ....I'm telling them 2-4 weeks off post op.  Before I return.  I desparelty hope I'm right.  Doc seems to think I'm spot on.   ...nervous.  

I wish u the best. 

• Posted

Gosh that must have been a hard slog for you, I completely get where you are coming from. But we will get there, most definitely! 

Claire. Xx

• Posted

Eighteen weeks here also. Went to Dr last Tuesday he said DO NOT WALK WITH A LIMP use your crutches until you can walk without a limp (pain is why I limp) he tells all his patients it will take 12 to 24 months to walk normal. I had a severe compound fracture left ankle ladder fall both bones busted at ankle one out through the inside of foot into the ground, Five surgeries two fusions this one is taking THANK GOD  a long road since 07/26/15 but it is getting better. Dr said I should be walking so no one could tell what foot is affected. I know it seems like forever but hand in there this is major stuff. Hope this insight helps a little. Also Dr suggested some Honka One shoes that have a little rocker built into them, He is not a shoes sales man with the company. They do seem to help with the crutches. I can get around the house a little and garage without the crutches but I use them every where else. The bone is growing together per the x-rays but at 65 it is not as fast as if I was 20 something again.
    • Posted

Thanks for the comment on don't limp. Im a firm believer in listening to our body. Mine told me if I limp I'm doing damage elsewhere. So if I find myself limping i stop and tell myself DONT LlMP.  In public I get odd looks but don't care now. I walk slow and sure. My body told me to walk level in boot then ditch the boot. That darn boot may protect the broken joint bone but damages so many other. I'm 60 and 5 months post break. I'm back at work. Still get swelling and pain after 9 hr shifts but I can sit during the day. Mostly it's discomfort. Also I would advise anyone who is in pain in cast get it off. I did 8 casts a few I removed myself and found the source of pain. Folded in plaster was the common cause. Applied by amateurs.the ed dr was on the phone getting instructions on how to apply the first one. Then the second same. Third he got instructions by a nurse. I had 3 properly applied. When I showed them why I removed the plasters dr agreed it was best thing to do.i have realised I'm the stubborn old bugger I've always been accused of being. Only now I see it as a compliment. 😅I'm no shoe salesman either but sketchers for me. And I wish an Even Up Shoe was attatched to every boot  would save a lot of secondary injuries. 

• Posted

The no limp thing is what I'm trying to do so so much, even if it's awful pain I'm determined I will not limp! ?? Thank you for recommending the shoes I will have a look. I'm on the long road too, 7 ankle ops in 14yrs and I'm just pleased that my ankle has fused! Hope you heal well too Ed. 

Claire. Xx

• Posted

i am 17 weeks post fusion and find wearing running shows ans shortening my stride has stopped me walking with a limp. i also walk very slowly.....which is a pain but my limp is now almost gone.

• Posted

I am now 4 months post spiral fracture of fibula and although can walk still cannot get into normal shoes and have pain nearly every day!  It is a slow process and patience is required up to six months so I am told!!! There is light at the end of the tunnel but still paranoid walking on uneven surfaces in case I twist it and snap it!!!!  Take heart, we are all in the same boat and apparently, a broken ankle is one of the worst injuries to recover from so try not to worry and take it easy and do your exercises!  loads of love xxx

• Posted

It's certainly is, worse part for me is that it's my 7th op in 14yrs on my left ankle so it's been a really long road.

I'm kind of used to the pain and instability that my ankle has but the pain I'm struggling to cope with 14yrs down the line.

Saying that we will get there, that I am sure of! 

Claire. Xx

• Posted

Hi , im 15 weeks ankle fusion on tuesday , and still in a load of pain when walking , be mindfull of the shoes your wearing, i was wearing sketchers with memory foam, i thought they were awesome , untill i kept getting sharp pains, i changed into my birkenstocks for a few days and i was a lot better , but...i have good days when i can feel its worked , and other days ..like today .. are rubbish , painful , worse than pre op, and depressing ! i have read so many stories about fusion and it takes such a long time to work, im hanging in there with you! i also go on holiday in 3 weeks ! im worried to death ! i know i cant walk well 

• Posted

Hi Trace.

Thank you for your response. I was looking at sketchers but I'm unsure if I will be able to wear them as the back and sides of my ankle are the worse bit of the swelling.

I've only been able to wear crocs, not the big clumpy ones but the more lady like ones! I am hoping though at some point in my life I'll be able to wear good looking shoes, we can dream hey ??

Claire. Xx

• Posted

I wear Nike running shows with a heel cradle ans shock absorb soles. I also wear army style boots with running shock absorbing insoles. I AM 17 weeks post fusion ans still have off days but on the whole can walk short distances with little pain or limp with these types of shoes. Barefoot i am totally usesless though!

• Posted

Coming up on my one year anniversary. My left ankle had been shattered 47 years ago and was screwed together. I had very limited motion (I don't think the joint had any nut just enough to cause pain) but learned over the decades to live with it and I did. I never let the range of motion inhibit me as I made other adjustments and was very active in sports. It's just that I would be in very bad pain for days or weeks depending on the level of activity (competitive tennis vs. a dog walk). After popping something about 14 months ago I did not recover, even after weeks. Had the fusion on 23 March, 2018. I was casted 4X, then the boot with crutches. After 24 weeks it was time to walk and though really strange and with atrophied muscles and even the fat pads on my foot's sole, I took my first unaided steps. I used a cane for a few weeks and then could walk without any pain at all. I crashed my bike and suffered a two week setback. I rested up and then was able to walk again. I have no pain at all and no limp. No limp as I had all those decades of walking with an immobile ankle. My MD was very happy and now I am too. I play racquet sports again and can walk as far as I want. I wear normal tennis shoes and any other type seems fine. the only negative, which is nothing compared to the pain I suffered for 48 years, is that the surgery caused numbness on my arch and instep. Feels like a tight elastic band but isn't really uncomfortable. I am more than happy with the outcome. I can see though how not being used to the inflexibility of the joint would be very strange and even painful to one not used to it. I think it'sbest to know that it will improve and that it'smp until your body learns to adapt. Hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.