Pain at 18wks post ankle fusion

Posted , 16 users are following.

Ok Ankle fusion guys and gals, i had my fusion done 18wks ago and I know pain is very subjective but I was wondering roughly how much pain you were in at 18wks post op??

I have just come back from holiday and could hardly do a th! Every other day I had to have a day resting with my foot elevated.

I have just walked to dog once around the small park we live on and I'm in agony. I actually in worst pain now than I was before! Had my 12wk check up at 14wks and the joints had fused.

I'm so confused as to why the pain is this bad, I'm not sofa...had children without pain relief...but this is just horrendous I could actually cry!

I'm actually thinking of phoning my consultant up on Monday to ask what he thinks.

I would be so so grateful for all of your input please. Xx

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have just come across this conversation whilst looking for an explanation for my post op pain.

I had my ankle fused four weeks ago and have followed instructions to the letter! I am in a moon boot and using an ankle scooter. After the initial surgery pain subsided I brought myself off pain killers and had two weeks pain free. Over the last three days though pain has returned and is getting worse. I didnt sleep last night and ended up taking pain relief again ( and I too am not a wimp - four children with no pain relief!!)

Is this normal? Do I just anticipate this and worse? After 10 years trying everything else this fusion has been my last resort. After a very active life  ( running etc) I have slowly become more sedentary and am hating it. Now I cant do anything as can put no weight on ankle ( according to my surgeon's instructions) and as I cant drive am stuck at home going mad with boredom and being alone. I am set to go back to work next part time ( and they will be wonderful and let me elevate my leg etc) with my partner rearranging his work and social life to do this but now am scared about what is happening.

Sorry for rant - am feeling a tad sorry for myself!!

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your experience. I wasn't in a moon boot for 3 months while I was in a cast that was changed 4 times. I really don't know the connection other than a moon boot is not a cast in immobilizing the joint. Are you sleeping with the boot? I think 4 weeks is too soon to be in the boot and if your doctor allows you to remove it I also think that is way to soon. But I am not your doctor. A more minor thing is for you to look up "iWalk" which I used instead of a scooter. It is a major improvement and allows almost completely normal activity (not as in exercise level) and would help you at work also.

Have you had recent X-rays? They may show something.

My experience was the 3 months in a cast, then the boot continuously on for a month and then I was allowed to take it off for sleeping. I was allowed to start weighting the leg only after 5 months and then with PT start transitioning to walking. I did well until I foolishly rode my bicycle (!) and tipped over onto my fused ankle and was in agony. A week back in the boot and all was fine. I have no pain at all now, over 6 months, and deal with  atrophy for the most part and awkward steps, on trails for instance, can cause some slight pain. I do have edema in that leg and wear compression hose. My adv ice is to get back into a cast for at least 2 months, if your doctor will comply. Good fortune!

• Posted

Thank you for the response

I am in the moon boot 24/7 only taking it off to 'air' twice a day with the foot supported and raised.

I had never heard of the iwalk and feel very miffed as I would have gone for this option but have bought a scooter as it is going to be cheaper in the long term. When I see my doctor in a couple of weeks I shall be having some serious words with him!!!! I cant afford another aid as I am not working  just now an will only go back  part time. I can see that the iwalker would have been better for me - the scooter exhausts me as I have to constantly lift it at home as there are so many twists and turns to negotiate!

I am hoping that at my next visit in about three weeks I will be allowed to go back to the pool to exercise - not being fully mobile is sorely testing my patience!!

I will remember not to ride a bike!! Have accepted I will never run again ( but that has been impossible for the last few years anyway) but would live to dance. My partner has suggested bridge - hardly the same!!

Thank you again

Amanda

• Posted

Hello Amanda,

I'm going to put my response into the next level up so that others can comment also. OK? That would be Morrismanc007

• Posted

Hello Amanda,

So here we are in a broader discussion and perhaps there will be more ideas in addition to mine that may help.

First off a little history on my ankle. I first shattered it 4 years ago and it was put back together as best as the practices were then. However I lost almost all mobility and once healed I was in pain a significant portion of my waking life. I learned to deal with that and I also learned to deal with the ankle which was essentially fused naturally. I may have had less than 10% function but I still played tennis, biked, hiked, climbed mountains, trail walks, etc. Sometimes that meant I would be in pain for up to week that was bad enough to need a cane and lots of ibuprofen. When I went to the surgeon at the largest teach hospital here he told me that the fusion would alleviate the pain (after fully healing) and I would be none for the worse and actually better because I would be pain free. As before the recent injury from bicycling I would play tennis, etc. and you should know that I could run and I anticipate I will again. I walked more than a mile on a easy mountain trail last week and am going to walk to an appointment this morning, so don't assume you're going to be much limited.

As far as your recovery I am amazed that you are going to be allowed to swim so soon. My doctor would have never allowed that and as I wrote I was in a solid cast for over 3 months, then the moon boot and no "airing out" for another month. Immobilizing the ankle was paramount. Just the action of removing and putting on the boot causes some minor flexion which is not good and I, not remotely qualified, think that is where your pain is coming from. It didn't start until the moon boot, am I correct? If that's the case then I believe that you are not even near fusion just based on the time frame. As I wrote, I was in a solid cast for 3 months and so believe that your time in one was insufficient to not allow some movement in the joint and that is a bad thing. Perhaps requesting to be recast is something to discuss with your doctor. Swimming, bad idea.

I was not given an option for the iWalk but had seen a woman at the clinic using one so I asked her about it. I was given the options, and got, crutches, a walker and a wheel chair. When I showed up to my surgeon with the iWalk he was bemused as he had never seen one but "approved" it. I found a new one at a medical supply shop and it was about $175 and worth every penny. My niece broke her ankle and got a scooter and then trying to negotiate with it tipped over and broke her wrist! With an iWalk one can carry food, or anything else. I even did cleaning and laundry, making the bed and other tasks which made my wife's life much better. I can't imagine having to have had her or someone bring things to me on demand, or use the toilet, etc. I would suggest that if at all possible you sell your scooter somehow and purchase the iWalk by whatever means possible. It will change your life during recovery.

Bottom line is I believe that you are far to ahead of a recovery schedule if mine is any example. Yesterday I was outdoors clearing brush on very rough terrain. As I've written the main issue now is atrophy but I will get stronger as I use that leg. Have a very serious talk with your doctor and though I am not qualified I would tell him to recast you for another 2 months and I suggest you not wait until your next visit but get right on to it. It should not be viewed as taking a step back in my opinion and now, experience.

If your doctor is approachable he could check out my doctor. His name is Richard Miller and he is on the faculty for the orthopaedic clinic and the University of New Mexico Hospital. He can, of course, be found on the web.

My two cents. Feel free to ask any questions at all that you might have. Keep the boot on and do not remove it for airing. I don't know if you were given a pair of knee-high cotton stockings but I was and they make the moon-boot much more comfortable and they are absorbent. Try that and keep the boot on.

Anyone else have free advice? Mine is exactly worth the price you pay Amanda. It's my experience.

• Posted

Thanks you

Having the boot on is at exactly the wrong time of my life with so much else going on so I am finding the patience aspect very difficult. My partner and I are separating and it is messy and distressing - I wish i had known before the op as I would have postponed it! However, this too will pass.

Yes, I have a stocking and bought more as they are very necessary I think

I agree that the scooter is not totally stable - I have fallen once. I will not go anywhere with crowds or with a risk of falling again - my doctor had a patient who went to get the mail - down a hill. As you may know the brakes only work on the flat, so she fell, broke her leg in two places and her ankle!!!  Very unfortunate.

I cant get in to see my doctor as he is on holiday

At least I can sit and paint, which I love!

Regards

Amanda

• Posted

I wonder if there is ever a "good" time for this level of surgery. I sympathize as not only does the surgery stress one out it impacts relationships and more. That is why having the iWalk was a godsend as I could take the vast majority of the nursing off my partner's shoulders. It isn't a strong suit of hers and so it helped us both. I got the freedom and minimized the convalescent aspects and she got to not feel guilty. so it worked out as well as could be expected.

I did fall with the iWalk though but it was because i did things I should not have, like steps with no rail. I only had a few scrapes though and never any damage.

It seems as if doctors are on holiday or otherwise unavailable and the worst times! Keep that boot on as much as possible. Is your pain improving? I hope so. And yes, it will pass as do all things and we do heal in and out.

Best

Brian

• Posted

Thank you Brian

One of the ironies of my situation in that in the last two years I have nursed my partner through two  cancer related procedures that had left him totally dependent. Ah well 

My pain is there but I am meditating and painting and trying to call on all my own experience in helping others ( easier to say than do!!!). I will get there and will be able to use my experiences when i get back to full time work.

Amanda

• Posted

It will be good to be able to confer with your doctor since the pain started 2 weeks after surgery. to me that means something changed or is wrong. Good luck in finding out the problem. It is hard to manage physically and emotionally with these sorts of things. I only wish you the best.

Brian

• Posted

Hi, I'm 8 months post fusion on my right ankle/foot.

At first it was a real nightmare getting around with a few scary moments where I got out of bed and forgot my frame/crutches and everything crunched.

I am now walking as normal but by choice I don't walk as fast as I used to.

I always carry a nordic walking pole with me as this gives me the will to keep moving.

I am 67 years old and so very glad I had this done. My advice is keep moving

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.