Pain at back of knee

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm bone on bone in my right knee but could still go on hill walks, the pain at the back of my left knee has sort of crept up on me.

As said, there's pain at the pack of my knee with restricted movement and it has buckled a few times.I'm also experiencing an ache on the outside of the shin and pain on the top of the foot.

Anybody else had pain at the back of the knee and what was the outcome ?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had severe pain in the back of my knee 2 months before it got replaced and they called it a bakers cyst. not a very nice experience. pain all over my knee, leg and foot. mine ruptures and that's why all the pain

• Posted

What's the cyst filled with that makes it so painful ?

• Posted

l, too have pain at the back of my knee.. it happened after i had a partial knee replacement. it gets very painful after Exercise and walking. its not very big. i cant even see it. They thought i had a blood clot but when they scanned me they found s small Bakers cyst. Just wish it would go. away. its stopping me toninig up my leg muscles.

• Posted

I had an xray on monday and it showed a decent gap at the front where the cartilage is.

i always understood that you can feel a bakers cyst ?

I cant get a decent bend and when i straighten the leg it gets painful.Walking is painful too and the limp is worse than the bone on bone knee.

how is the cyst removed?

• Posted

a bakers cyst is just filled with water. when it ruptures which it did in my case it goes down your leg and en flames the tendons and muscles. it is not a very nice experience at all. that was my case though. not to say that you are the same

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Sounds awful. Did the pain go after it burst? I feel i can't go forward after my partial knee replacement with exercises. I think I need to go back to the doctors. Thanks once again for your reply.

• Posted

I am afraid not. when it bursts is when the real pain is caused. and to be honest it only went away with the new knee. a bakers cyst you can feel at the back of your knee. but when it bursts there is nothing there. as I say that was my experience of pain in the back of my knee. all people are different

• Posted

My mate had a bakers cyst that was very prominent but didn't give him much trouble.

I can't feel a lump at the back of my knee and the pain is worst if I try to twist but as said I have pain in the foot, first thing in the morning and the outside of my shin aches at night in bed.

• Posted

Its only 6 or 7 weeks since we were up in the Lakes and went hill walking every day.

A couple of times though, since then, when I've tried cycling, I've twisted the knee either getting on or off and the last time seems to have done the trick properly

• Posted

Wasnt until you mentioned 'twisting' and the fact your lower leg and foot are in pain that it rang a bell.

I did the tkr back in June 17. It was then revised (replaced) in April this year. Recovery is understandably slow and not helped by a recently trapped peroneal nerve.

This causes pain in the back of the knee, specifically when twisting the leg/foot, or when standing and the leg is almost straight.

I have no foot or lower leg pain, yet these are common symptoms of a trapped nerve according to my physio..

Lots of info online....

• Posted

The foot pain is there in the morning but then eases.The ache on the side of my shin is there when I'm in bed.

I'm off work at the moment because of my knees and did nothing at all yesterday, got up this morning and feel a lot better re the above 2 problems.

My leg is still stiff though and I can't get a good bend or straighten it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.