Pain at incision site after staple removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. It’s currently 1:15am... I laid down at 9. I’m unable to fall asleep because of the sharp, burning, bee sting like pain of my big incision. I got my staples (37!!) out earlier today, and was put into an air boot. A few hours later started having the bee sting like pain over my larger incision. Is this normal? When will it go away?! I had my air boot pumped up in a good spot, but have now gradually loosened it all the way out, which helps my pain for a bit. Any ideas on what will help? Maybe wrapping my ankle and incisions in an ace bandage, and then putting it in the air boot?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

So sorry your having this pain. After they removed my staples it was sore for a couple of days, but not really a stinging. I always wrapped my ankle in a ace bandage when I was wearing the boot, it just felt better to have a little pressure on it. Have you used the pads that came with the boot as a buffer between your incision and the boot? This may help. I would keep the boot loosened if it feels better. I never pumped my up it just felt really tight when I tried it. Hopefully the sensation your having will subside in the next day or two, it may just be really irritated from the staple removal. Good luck, if it continues I would give your doctor a call. 
    • Posted

Thank you! I let the air out of my air cast and felt so much relief. I'm thinking it was just a little soon to have it fit my ankle after getting my staples out. I'm thinking I'm going to wrap it in an ace bandage for sure!

• Posted

I also had my staples removed earlier this week, three weeks post ORIF surgery and fitted with an air cast. I’ve had the same stinging pains at both incision sites. I wouldn’t worry about it as I guess it’s normal. Are you wearing the boot 24/7? I’m finding relief by removing when able to sit with my leg elevated in the evenings for a few hours. 

I have to wear it in bed as I can’t be trusted to keep the ankle straight but I remove the air while sleeping. This makes the boot a little loose around the heel and it rubs overnight causing blister type soreness. 

Seems you had the same surgery as me around the same time so I’d be interested to compare ongoing recovery experience. Good luck! 

Peter 

• Posted

Thank you! I am to wear the boot 24/7, except when showering for a week! Then I will be able to take it off and do some ROM up and down exercises. I was also told to sleep with it on for the same reason! Keeping it at 90 degrees is very important! 
  • Posted

The others already answered but YES WITH THE ACE. I'm 8 1/2 weeks out from surgery and I have used an ace every day with the boot. The only day I forgot, when I started weight bearing with crutches, it hurt over the incision where I'd had no pain for weeks. I also had to let the air way down on the boot, pumping it up too much puts too much pressure on the site,especially at your stage post op. At least that's how it felt to me.

That stinging and burning is super normal also. It gets a LOT better.

• Posted

Good to know it gets easier! When did you start weight bearing?  I’m getting sooo frustrated with falling when trying to use crutches 
    • Posted

Perfect! I hadn’t had much pain after post op prior to this, so I was very bothered by it. I figured it was normal but always like reassurance! When I released the air I felt an immediate relief!
    • Posted

At my 6 weeks  post op appointment the dr took xrays and it was healed to his satisfaction. A few days later I started physical therapy and partial weight bearing. After a week of that, it was down to one crutch with more of a load on the foot. 

Do all the exercises you are supposed to so that youre flexible enough and strong enough to do that.

?I fell twice in the first 2 weeks with crutches, lucky I didn't break anything else, as I fell pretty hard on my hip on the "good' side! Best thing ever, getting down to one crutch. You'll see.

• Posted

Thanks Tricia. I guess I’m going to have to learn patience! 😀

• Posted

Hi Mackezie,

I'm late to this thread but it sounds like you have been receiving a lot of good advice from kind people.

When I was wearing the boot I discovered special socks for the Aircast (on Amazon retailer). I had no incision wounds but these socks made a difference in boot wearing comfort.

They are thick and plush, and extend almost all the way up the calf.

Cheers.

• Posted

Perfect! I will definitely look into those! I love these forums because you learn so much from others. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.