Pain at night

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm now 15 weeks post TKR, and getting pain at night. I have a long pillow which I try in various positions but when I turn over in my sleep it wakes me up and I struggle to get it comfortable again.

Is this normal so long after the op?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you tried (lidocaine) pain patches, GP's don't like to prescribe them as they are 'pricey', but they do give relief.  To be honest, I take 2 types of sleepers (prescribed), that way I get some sleep. When I do wake up in the night, I wait for the pain to subside and am then able to go back to sleep. I try not to think, just let the pain wash over me...  You are still fairly early into recovery so try and keep your hopes up.  Try not to let your thoughts get the better of you, otherwise it will drag you down.  It is hard work, instead of ice, use heat (like the wheat packs), if you have a microwave, so much the better.
    • Posted

I'm on Targinact (oxycodeine), naproxen and pregablin already. I'll take half a sleeping tablet occasionally if I get so deprived of sleep that I can't cope but I don't like taking them.  I do all the relaxing things - lavender, hypnotherapy track etc.

I havent tried heat at all, ice a few times a day and just before bed because I still have swelling and it still gets quite warm.  I thought heat was for muscles? Do you think if would help and if so, how and when?

• Posted

Yikes you are on a real cocktail.... but if it works for you.  Have you discussed changing to something elese with your GP.

I use heat as personally if I use ice my knees seizes up (+ I am a coward).  Heat seems to seep through and is more comforting. I use the wheat bags, you can use them as much as you like.  At night, as it cools, you can use it as a sort of cushion for your knee, quite comfortable as it moulds round you (It doesn't have to a huge wheatie, but big enough that you can wrap it across your knee one side to the other) Amount of heat is up to you, not so hot that it burns, but hot enough that you can feel it getting through to your knee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.