Pain at night

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good morning ya'll..I'm at 11 weeks now, for a few days last week felt like my LTKR was getting better. This week I have such night pain, I don't understand it. I'm still going to p.t. and do my exercises at home. I don't go back to Dr till next Thursday. Shouldn't this be easing up by now. I dread going to bed at night! This morning my knee feels so tight . I am tired of this physical and emotional rollercoaster.

Has anyone else felt this, am I expecting too much at 11 weeks?

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There is no set pattern for recovery, we all recover at different rates. You can't compare your recovery with that of others. Are you still taking your medication to control the pain?. You said it felt like your knee was getting better, did you overdo the exercises or physio because of that?. 

• Posted

No I mostly take it before I go to bed. The only thing changed at p.t. is 5 lbs added to leg press now at 35lb. and seated leg curl went from 10 to 15.
    • Posted

Maybe it's too much then. Saying that if I do bridges which exercises the hamstring I get a sharp pain that starts at the bottom of  the hamstring and radiates down into the calf. I think the secret to getting rid of this pain is stretching. Try stretching the hamstring by keeping your leg straight and touching your toes. Stretch the calf out  aswell. Since I've concentrated more on the stretches it has stopped this pain

• Posted

Sounds like your physio is the reason, 35 lbs leg press is a lot for someone with a tkr. Perhaps go back to original weight. Try to spread your medication throughout  the day see  if that helps with the pain. Don't overdo the physio or exercise, a little and often, you will get there in the end. It takes time but don't despair it is worth it in the end , I'm 19½ and 17½ years since my tkr's and have had no problems since recovery. 

• Posted

Glad to hear you concur David. These physio's need to be told to back off sometimes! Unfortunately, we all learn the hard way!

• Posted

The problem with physio's is that they have not had a tkr themselves so don't know the reality of it , only the theory. Recovery cant be achieved by ticking boxes on a list. There is no time scale for any stage of recovery, in a room of 20 patients who all had the op on the same day almost all will be at different stages of recovery. I was fortunate with both knees I was back at work after 6 months, some may have been back sooner and others later. 

• Posted

Deb you sound like you were doing great until the idiot physio added 5 lbs to your workout! That is waaay too much of a jump! Especially since you're healing. Either go back to the original amount, which is fine BTW, or ad 1 pound increments. Anyone who lifts weights, especially women, know that is too much of a jump. He'll, I've been using the same 8 pound dumbbells on my arms for years and am happy to be able to maintain it at 58 years you g. You overdid it. The PT set you back, now tell them to lower the weights and keep them there! Feel better. Hugs. Never give up.

• Posted

Thank you. I'm 72, but do not feel or look it.(So I've been told). But this has really gotten to me.

• Posted

You will feel a lot younger once you have recovered. 72 is really only 27 in the mind.lol
    • Posted

I know it can be discouraging and downright depressing dealing with the pain and setbacks. Just take it easy for several days and let your knee recover from the damage done by the weight increase. Don't feel guilty, just listen to your body. Rest, ice, elevate and don't forget to treat yourself to some "therapeutic" chocolate! Medicinal purposes, you know! I'm here for you if you need me.

• Posted

Thank you, it's nice to have people on here who don't even know you support you.😅

• Posted

Thank you it does get very discouraging, it helps to have people who know, but don't even know you, support you.

• Posted

Thank you. I have done no exercises today but have p.t. tomorrow.
    • Posted

Don't let them push you so hard. Or skip it till you feel better. Listen to your body.

• Posted

Just got back from p.t. wasn't too bad today, she went real easy today. She really is very good and very nice.

• Posted

Perhaps your physio has been reading the comments on here. wink
    • Posted

Glad to hear this. I hope you're not too sore tonight.

• Posted

It is a learning experience for them to I think often! It s great she is working with you...that's the main thing.

• Posted

I am a little sore today but its my other side, as on the seated leg curl she has me alternating both legs , my unmoderated leg can't keep up with the TKR. Weird. But I did sleep more then two hours.

• Posted

Good morning, P.T down to 2x a week still at 35 lbs on leg press. I'm at 14 weeks this week and thought I was at a turning point as I had three nights where I slept pretty good with no pain meds. Wrong 1step forward 2steps back. I feel awful today. 3hrs sleep this horrible night pain. My leg is a constant ache today from my knee to my foot. I did not have p.t yesterday nor did I do my exercises, I didn't even leave the house. So depressing....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.