Pain at top of leg after elevating legs for oedema

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a severe pain at the top of my leg caused by elevating my legs that is making walking difficult, what am I doing wrong? I have researched leg elevation to make sure my cushions are placed correctly and have also tried placing the cushions under the bottom of my mattress instead but both ways eventually cause the pain. I stopped elevating for a couple of days and the pain eased right off but the swelling worsened so I have no choice but to elevate. But now the pain is much worse, putting weight on that leg is agony. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I wish I had some helpful information for you. I was

hurting from just reading your post. I hope it does get better for you.

• Posted

Thanks Donna, it seems it's a no win situation, if I elevate them I end up in pain but if I don't then they swell up even more! But I'm determined I'm going to keep trying different things until I find something that works 😛

• Posted

hi. i have been massaging mine from thigh down to ankle twice a day. but it has to be gentle massage.start at groin and massage for a count of ten then move down doing it for a count of 10 on each one until you get to ankle. also breathe in from stomach for a count of 5 before and after. hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks Jacqueline, I'll give that a try as the pain at the top of my leg has eased a bit but now my knee is causing me pain. I've reduced the elevation time from 30 to 20 minutes but this hasn't helped, even 20 minutes seems too long as my legs stiffen up in that time. Jiggling my ankles as much as possible seems to help with the swelling and the stiffness too but I'll certainly try massaging the way you explained (I have tried a sort of massaging, it was more rubbing my lower legs and I was doing it upwards!). 

• Posted

hi. with your toes do rotation 10 times each side then bend toes forward and backward 10times as for knee just keep massaging it  it will ease with time.i get it on and off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.