Pain before menstruation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with costochronditis in January of this year. I' ve been experiencing pain off and on....mainly on my left side of my rib cage. Ive recently notice that I tend to get these flare ups right before I start my period along with joint pain. The pain then usually subsides after my period is over. I was wondering if this is just a coincidence or if other women have experienced that too?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Veronica. No link with my time of the month. One GP asked me whether there was a correlation as he thought it could be endometriosis. Apparently the lining of your womb can get attached to various other internal parts! My current GP didn't think this made sense for me, especially as my pain doesn't change according to menstruation. 

I have had a lightbulb moment after a message from Chris. I now understand my costo much better as it's clearly linked to my stiff upper spine! Waiting for a chiropractor appointment to help free me up, and then get some specific stretching exercises into my day to keep everything mobile. 

All the best.

• Posted

Yes.

My costo begun with pain across practically the whole left side of my abdomen and upper chest and much of it was located at my two rib bones right above my tummy area. This is very close to the lower abdomen where you may feel menstrual pain, so yes it felt like each joint was connected and the pain travelled up to my inflamed area.

Those sharp shooting pains some of us feel around that time of month? I used to feel it in the middle of my chest. I knew it was related because it was period pain, just travelling all over my abdomen and chest area at the same time.

• Posted

My daughters pain get worse either at the end of her period or once it has stopped.  I wondered if there is something in her birth control pill that helps reduce the pain.  She then stops the pill for a week and perhaps the levels of whatever is helping with the pain decrease and the pain gets worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.