Pain behind knee after total knee replacemnet

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had total knee replacement in my right knee almost 10 weeks ago. It's been a roller coaster ride and I had to have knee manipulation done last week to that knee because it wasn't bending enough. Now I am experiencing a new pain that is making me very nervous and is making my pt difficult to do. I am getting a sharp pain behind my knee on the inner part of the knee. Its so bad that I can't straighten my leg fully because it feels like something is going to snap. My physical therapist said I pulled something in the back of the knee because I'm not walking properly which is putting strain on the back of the knee. After pt it felt a bit better because they worked on the muscle behind the knee but it prevented me from having a good pt session as far as bending my knee. I woke up this morning and the knee felt fine until I went on my indoor bike and hurt the back of the knee again. I couldn't do anything for the rest of the day because it was so painful. It hurt to walk, to sit, to straighten my leg, and to bend it, Has anyone experienced this and if so, how did you get through it?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello.  I remember having strange and new pains.  And the worry of my leg not bending or straightening.  I cried when I was prescribed a leg brace, called a Dynasplint.  I was supposed to wear it for 6 hours a day.  Umm.. not happening.

But I did wear it about 3-4 hours each day, spread throughout the day.  I cried.  It helped.  And believe it or not, my muscles and scar tissue started softening and after about 6 weeks, I saw improvements... Slowly.  The recovery happened, but after much time, patience and tears.  Eventually, going back to work helped immensely.  Keep plugging along.  Chin up.  smile

• Posted

Thank you for the encouragement. The pain was slightly better today but I also didn't stretch as much as I usually do. My pt did say I should call my doctor if it keeps happening. Just praying it has nothing to do with the actual implant.

• Posted

I found standing up with my bent leg then straightening it from my thigh and hip ,instead of straightening from the calf to knee, stranglely alowed my leg to straighten without the feeling something was going to snap or break behind my knee. My PT has me doing exercises to strengthen my inner thigh muscles using a medium size rubber ball I lay on my back and squeeze the ball between my knees when my legs are bent. Then I raise the TKR leg a few inches off the table while squeezing the ball. I can feel it working the inner thigh muscles. I've only been doing these exercises for a week but hopeful it will eliminate my knee locking up and preventing easy straightening. Best wishes for your healing.

• Posted

Thank you Laurel. I'll ask my pt about some of those excercises tomorrow.

• Posted

So my pt is dumb founded which makes me nervous. She doesn't know why I'm having so much pain behind and to the inside if my knee. I called my doctor and am waiting for a call back. It's keeping me from doing my stretches. It doesn't hurt when I bend it only when I straighten it out. Anyone go through this?

• Posted

hi there. I have had the same problems. TKR. in November then manipulation in January. O had home health after surgery the physical therapy after the manipulation for 6 weeks. I felt great and was walking great. Life was good then everything started tighting up. I asked for more physical therapy. The therapist is6 focus on that back tendon. It hurts when I walk. i got on amazon and purchased a calf stretcher to help loosen the calf and the tendon. I also do stretches on the couch for the calf. therapist says that if you stretch the calf it helps the tendon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.