Pain behind left eye, temple & top teeth?

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi,

I have always suffered with headaches from a young age. I've tried beta-blockers and Amitriptyline which have worked on and off. I've now stopped taking them and gone back on citalopram for anxiety last week. The side effects can cause headache, but for the last 3 days I've had a pain/ache behind my left eye, temple and the top row of my teeth along with pains in other parts of my head on and off. I saw the GP who checked my eye and said my optic disc looked ok and didn't know what it was. I have had the eye pain before but not for so many days in a row. If I take paracetamol it lessens the pain for a few hours and then comes back. Thought it could be sinus related as I keep getting mucus stuck, but I don't have a cold. Any ideas??

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ive sufferred headaches for years also. They have been an 'on and off' thing, thankfully not constant every day, but persitent enough over the years to be problematic.  Once diagnosed as Cluster headaches, but never treated successfully.

Ive also had bad teeth since a young man, and often coudltnt tell wether is had tooth pain, or headaches that was the cause of extreme head aches.

As a young boy, the bristol eye hospital even thought it might be eyesight related, no1 really knew for sure, what it was.

Ove the years ive had many procedures to correct or remove teeth, so correct eyesight (lacy eye), but still the head pain continues.

More recently over ther last few years, ive noticed a pattern to the pain, and its almost always in the same area: behind my left eye socket, left ear, left temple, and top left side of my forehead.

The pain at its worst is so bad, i may cry outloud in anguish, or go into a fetal position, i use mouth wash, paracetamol, darken my room, and try to endure the pain till it passes, which can be ten minutes, or a few hours...i dont exaggerate, its exhausting, and sometimes my head will go into a sweat, if i push the eye socket slightly it can relieve the pain or make it drastically worse and i almost pass out with dizyness...its quite un-nerving.

i am an idiot for living with such a thing for so long, but after reading this post, i am convinced its 'temporomadibular joint disorder' and i have a history of head trauma, so might be related.

I look forwards to knowing what exactly is going on, and between this information, my GP, and my Dentist, i hope to end this episode of pain.

thank you to the posters for thier views, and information, and ill also keep you updated on progres and info, incase that helps the next guy/lady.

• Posted

I have suffered every year since a cant remember, when the pain in the teeth was  so bad I was at the dentist trying to get them to pull my teeth out they would say go home4 days later it would be gone the side of my face in pain I didn't know who to turn to.  when I read a very simply article which read, use manuka honey it said work with the bees, sounded too simple so I tried which I do in green tea, hard to believe I have not suffered any pain for all this time. The pollens have not effected me since, if I had read this years ago I would of started. it used to take to smallest sniffle 2 weeks later the pain I could never work out where it came from or what I did.

• Posted

Hi Amy,

?I am the best I ever have been, as I said something so simple, manuka honey, I didn't really want to have it but I thought, give it a go, a lot cheaper and natural,I was always getting polarmine for hayfever  or sinus I didn't know mainly because I didn't have a cold I was trying lots of different pain killers medication. I  had the pain in my face, head, jaw.

?I had searched high an low to find what would help me. This is the only thing that has reduced the pain to zero.

?As I said I make sure I have 1 or 2 cups of tea a day and put the manuka honey in it, and I will continue to.

?Hope this helps you.

• Posted

Hei Amy,

I have had similar pain last 3days.

Before me got my 7year old daughter for 3days very high tempersture what started and was followed by strong lasting headache.

I did not get flu itself but i got headache and teethache .

Child is fine now. I guess and hope to become fine soon smile. Wish you best!

• Posted

I'm so sorry to see others going through the same as i.

It's been a year now that around 9:30 - 10pm at night my back of left eye gets so painful i can't sleep. It started off light pain then worse. Now it includes my left temple and just today my jaw started to hurt.

Dentist, Dr.s and eye dr. can't give me an answer.

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

• Posted

Hi Illya,

?Its not very nice the pain and when it goes to your temple to your jaw even worse. My dentist told me it was sinuses I didn't know I had a sinus problem. so just over 12 months ago I started taking Manuka honey 2 times a day in green tea, hard to believe, I have not had a headache or aching jaw since I started, and at times I could barely open my mouth with the pain. I had tried so much medication and nothing seemed to even ease it and as I said just over 12 months I have been pain free, I searched for help on as many sites for what to do.

?I do wish you the very best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.