Pain below the right rib cage

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I have had a dull pain (sometimes sharp) just below my right rib cage for a month and some weeks now. On top of that I also felt pain on my lower right abdomen. Blood tests, urine tests, xray and ultrasound scan all came back normal. I then sought a second opinion from another doctor who then diagnosed me with chronic appendicitis. An appendectomy was done for the removal of the appendix. I thought all my problems were solved. However a week after the appendix was removed I started getting the same pain below my right rib cage again. I am so confused and scared right now, and I don't know what to do. I must point out that the pain under my right rib cage was the first to start. The day I felt it, just after a few minutes of feeling the minute I heard something that felt like something burst at the location of the pain. Anyone that has a clue of what is happening to me or what I should do next?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you have had a post op complication. See your doctor again.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. You might be right. But I am so worried i feel like maybe appendicitis wasn't my only problem. Because before appendectomy the pain below the rib cage was the very first thing I experienced. And now just a week after the appendix was removed it started again. I just dont wanna have another theater experience, it's horrible 😢😢

• Posted

Sometimes appendix surgery can cause IBS. Do you have any change of bowel habit and pain that moves about your stomach? You will need to see your doctor to identify the problem with possible further testing.
    • Posted

The pain is concentrated below the rib cage on the right side. Sometimes it radiates to the back. I don't really have pain elsewhere on the stomach. There was a time I was constipated for 4 days but I think it was because i was dehydrated. So as soon as I started drinking a lot of water and juice the constipation stopped. And I think IBS also caused your tummy to be upset after meals. I also don't have that. I am really hoping it's not IBS coz I know it's a horrible ailment. I am just hoping it's something that can be remedied quick.

• Posted

IBS is very different for everyone and does not always cause an upset stomach after meals.  IBS pain can radiate to your back.  I have had this. With IBS  I have no trouble with eating . Only stress triggers my IBS. After my diagnosis, when my health anxiety cleared up, my symptoms greatly improved and it is is not really awful for me.  A diagnosis of IBS is not so terrible because it can be treated and controlled and does not lead to anything nastier. It can be remedied quickly for some people.

However, other things need to be ruled out first especially since your pain is concentrated in one area only. 

• Posted

Thank you so much. This made me feel better. I already made an appointment with the Gastroenterologist. I will pray she finds the cause of the pain.
  • Posted

Did you ever find out what the problem was I'm having the same exact problem please help iv been in pain everyday for a year and a half please help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.