Pain below the sternum bone/chest pain spasms

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone, so I have been keeping a diary, and for the last 8 months on and off I get tenderness under the rib cage, and also painful chest spasms.  The crazy thing about this is sternum pain comes about a week before my period and the chest pain comes right at the beginning of my period or right around ovulation.  I have skipped a few months, but it usually shows up during this time of the cycle.  I also have globes sensation in my throats on and off.  I have had all the heart tests offered, I have had tons of blood work, I have had ultra sounds done and so far nothing.  In about a week I will be doing a barium swallow test to see what may be causing the globes sensation.  The doctors are suggesting and endoscopy, to check and see if anything is going on in my esophagus and stomach....they think gerd.....but I have no heart burn....Just wondering if anyone of you ladies come across this symptom during  these certain times and have you found anything helpful.  I have switched to a low acid diet, I sleep on a wedge pillow,  I eat small meals and I stop eating3 to 4 hours before bed.....So I am not sure this is gerd or if it is a hormonal thing causing muscles to spasm.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello I am 47 and had a partial hysterectomy. what caught my attention on your post is that I too have been having all symptoms you have I just posted something on throat ache and tightness. I am on a low fat diet and doctors have given me antibiotics thinking maybe infection but there’s no infection. I’ve been having throat ache off and on for a year it’s very stressful. I am going to request endoscopy. I am so worried and upset that I haven’t done more tests. I just have gotten so many different symptoms that I am tired of going to doc. For me started 3 years with my gallbladder problem and a bunch of other symptoms. Please let me know how it goes with endoscopy if you get it done also with your barium swallow. I am trying everything you are trying. I am also treating myself with post nasal drip meds see if it that works. Thanks
    • Posted

I do from time to time. I especially notice it when sitting in weird positions. A lot in the car. But it comes and goes for me. I've had the throat thing too a few cycles.

• Posted

Hi Linda ...just a quick pipe in here... I’m in menopause 4+ years now...I had pain like you around 3 years ago, and they put camera down my throat to check out stomac and what ever, I was supprice when he said I’d got thrush in my stomac and piped leading up to throat.. I throught that we only got thrush down below 🤔 lol...

But know my consultant said you can get it in stomac. Too.. so now I’m on tablets for life to keep it under control, Iv tried stopping the med but as soon as I do the pain comes back, so doc have told me to just carry on with med.

So if it was not for having camera down I would not of known what was caursing prob... so just throught I’d say what they fount with me ... good luk and I do hope you sort it out soon as not a nice thing to be putting up with 🤗x

• Posted

Hi dawn

I suggest you get a probiotic and kefir yougurt plain you need to get good bacteria in your gut 

• Posted

Hiya Maria ... Iv always take them yogurt drinks one aday for health gut... but it’s not stopped me getting thrush... because of my diffrent illness I have, I don’t have a very good immune system.. so pick things up very easy, and my body just can’t get rid so easy.. cheers 🤗x

• Edited

I get that all the time and it has led to bad health anxiety as I keep thinking it's my heart. I've had ecg and bloods done which were fine. they gave me antacids but I don't get heartburn just pain in chest and sternum and right a long under left breast. it often sends me into a panic.

• Edited

Yes exactly me too.  I don't get heart burn either just the chest pain spasms and pain under the sternum.  I have visited the hospital at least three times worrying it was my heart.....they checked many times with ecg, blood tests, heart echo, stress test, and a 14 day holter monitor....when that was ruled out I asked them to check my gall bladder, so they did a complete upper abdominal ultra sound and everything looked good. They did a blood test to check for h pylori and a fecal test and everything is fine.  Too me it feels like muscle spasms, they can start from the back and go to the front, it sends me into a ball trying to breath through the contractions.......it is so horrible.....it seems they come on right before my period.....or at the start of a virus.....so basically when my immune system is down.  I see my doctor in a couple weeks and I guess it is time to investigate the digestive tract.....and also maybe an MRI on my upper back.  There is something causing this and three has to be a name to it....I like you have health anxiety because of it.

• Edited

Vicky symptom here under my rib cage on the right side its terrible 
  • Posted

I get those same muscles spasm in my chest exactly the same, they are not painful just a nuisance. My nephew who is a GP says i shoukd drink lots of water and to ensure my intake of electrolytes is daily. I also take magnesium. I have noticed they are not that prevalent now but not completely gone. I also suffer from IBS trapped wind and acid reflex. I also do my yoga stretches before bed.

Geez it's all too much.

• Edited

Have you figured out what is causing this yet? I am struggling with the same symptoms and desperate to know.
    • Edited

Hey there,  Well I had a couple diagnosis's but I will tell you what has worked for me.  So after every test under the sun to rule out anything major, they came to the conclusion it was probably GERD.   Then it was suggested, it could be Costcocondritis as well which both fit into the symptoms I was dealing with.  So what I did was treated my body holistically for both.  I followed and acid watcher diet, stopped eating 3 hours prior to bed time slept with my head slightly propped up in the case that is was GERD.  I drink water with a table spoon of apple cider vinegar with meals, and if it is something hard to digest I take a digestive enzyme as well.   Then I started seeing an osteopath, it was then I got a complete understanding why things were hurting where they did, my diaphragm was stuck up into my rib cage and my upper thoracic region was super tight.  my left leg is shorter than my right, and I have very bad posture (hunched shoulders) and rounder upper back which is hereditary.     I find if I am careful with my posture as my job has me sitting at one hour intervals (I am a Reflexologist) so some days I can feel things tightening up again, so I do stretches now, and I see the osteopath when things start to feel tight again.  This has really honestly alleviated most of my symptoms.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.