Pain between neck and shoulder all week

Posted , 7 users are following.

Pain between neck and shoulder, worse when moving the head around. Very painful if i put pressure in the area . Seems to radiate around a bit. Makes sleeping very uncomfortable this week. This pain seemed to have come out of nowhere with no obvious cause..

Any ideas of what might be the cause of this pain?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Where do you live. I live in the UK. I have had the same problem like yours for the past few days and like you have no idea how it has happened. I have looked at the possibility that I might have slept badly or perhaps the pillow is the problem.

I have looked up on internet for exercises and there are a few there - the one which I think may help is turning your head to the side of the problem, slowly, hold and release and do these a few times, then the the other side and moving the head backwards and forwards slowly. I have also tried cold compress and warmed up bean bags.

• Posted

Sigatoka, it's a fine line between the various symptoms and the suitable treatments. I had bad neck troubles a few years ago, with again, no idea what caused it. I just couldn't turn either side comfortably, and trying to see to the right when exiting a junction on the road was dangerous to say the least. My GP arranged physio which greatly helped and now I cope much better, whilst doing the exercises every day. It turns out I have damaged C1 to C4 in the neck. This is a symptom of "Gait Apraxia" which has now affected the balance and erectness of my torso, which I cannot control. After a Romberg's test, I was also diagnosed with "Cerebellar Ataxia". I have lost my job as an Instructor in a Port environment, and doubt if I could be re-employed as the headaches are horrendous. I find pee-ing difficult, nearly always; My left arm and hand gets pins & needles and I find it hard to grasp items I want to pick up. I'm also dropping a lot of those that I do manage to grasp. I have bought nearly 30 different pillows to try to get comfortable at night, which has cost a small fortune. My advice to anyone wondering if they should get their neck seen to by a doctor is DO IT!

• Posted

Gosh you seem to have it really badly. I will be seeing my GP for other things so might try and mention it. Unfortunately, the last time I saw them with a list of issues, she said she can only deal with one or two things because of the limit of time per patient.

I hope the physio will help you,

• Posted

Does your jaw ever click or pop? Do you get sensitive teeth? If you do you may have TMD or you may grind your teeth or both.

• Posted

hello

i just woke up w neck pain and goes down on my back on my shoulders and here w warm neck compress and i dont know what happen i think i slept wrong

• Posted

Do you get sensitive teeth? You could be grinding your teeth in your sleep or jaw clenching. You can get this as a side effect from different medications.

• Posted

Hi Patrick...this can be a combo if various conditions from stress(many of us tense up in that same area:) to what I have. I was diagnosed with TMJD back at age 22(Im 54) and then ruptured cervical disks C5-6 and C6-7 when I was 35. I had the surgery to fix my problem which was Multiple Cervical Diskectomies with Bone Grafts and Titanium Fusion from the anterior(front) approach. Abbreviated as ACDF from C5 to C7.

It fixed the disk problems but threw me into 7 years of pain mgmt which I regret to this day. Some of the the after effects are spinal arthritis and crepitence in my neck which causes the noisy grinding.

You would probably benefit from a visit to an Orthopod or Neurological Surgeon. Good Luck!

• Posted

How did you rupture your discs. Did you have nerve damage to warrant the surgery. I herniated my C5/6 and C6/7at 25 years old I am 56 and still get neck ache. Didn't have surgery.

• Posted

hi clive....yes i had nerve damage from the rupture and the bulge in the other one was close to rupture. Plus I had done PT for several months including traction to no avail. Also, I was older when mine happened(36) and already had severe arthritis and Fibro which complicated things.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your pains mate, I have had a similar journey. Please read my reply to Sigatoka.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.