Pain between shoulder blades

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello,

i have all the symptoms as lots of people on here from upper stomach pain to gurgling stomach, and also have a camara down my throat and was found to have some Barrett's put on ppi but my new worry is I have started to get this dull pain between shoulder blades , my worry is it's something like cancer !! Anxiety really kicking in now over this , is there anyone with the same symptoms as this .😢😢

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne,

Firstly, to put your mind at ease, it is extreely unlikely to be cancer.

You are experiencing symptoms of reflux. It was reflux of acid and bile that caused the formation of your Barrett's. Your PPI will reduce the acid to make reflux less dangerous.

Many people exxperience pain between the shoulder blades. It is due to the proximity of the Vagus nerve to the oesophagus and can be responsible for pains arising in "unusual" places.

As drugs are not so helpful in reducing reflux, this is what you now need to concentrate on by following the lifestyle advice about losing weight (if necesssary), avoiding overfilling your stomach (eating little and often) and not eating too late at night (leaving at least 3 hours before bed) etc.

• Posted

Hi Barrett's ,

thank you for your response, Three weeks ago I was diagnosed.

may I ask you some more advice ! I went to my doctor last week because after the hospital told me to up my omeprazole to 40mg a day I started to experience bloating and some pain still they changed my ppi to Lansoprazole for a month to see how I get on with this one but when I picked it up from the chemist it was prescribed for 30mg one to be taking in the morning so reduced amount , so not sure if I should be on a more dose ?? 🤔

• Posted

Ask your doctor for an ultrasound of your gallbladder if you have not  had this tested.  Lots of heartburn and pain between borh shoulder blades or the right shoulder blade may indicate gallbladder problems.
    • Posted

Having your gallbladder removed may be significant.  Sometimes, stomach surgery and particularly gallbladder removal can trigger IBS in some people.
  • Posted

Sorry for delay. Been at a meeting. On train back.

30mg Lansoprazole equiv to 20mg omeprazolee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.