PAIN!!! Broken, tibia, fibula and talus.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my ankle surgery yesterday. I had plates, screws and a rod put in. OMG how long should I expect to be in this soul sucking pain?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you're going through this. I had this surgery in November '16.  Please know it'll be long but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Lots of elevation, ice for one thing. PATIENCE. Something I've never been good at. 😂 but I got through it all. My faith helped, and letting people help me.  The knee scooter was a Godsend! 

This forum helped tremendously & PT. 

GOOD LUCK! 

Keep up with this forum everyone is wonderful. 

Where are you at? I'm in USA. 

• Posted

First few days stay on top of your pain meds. Ice and elevation as Janness suggested.  If it still is bad after few day call in sometimes a cast can be to tight.  Take care and Everyone here has been through the same thing.  I am at 9 weeks post op. Hopefully you have some help for few days. Take care.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am not a patient person either....lol. I do have a good "quirky" sense of humor. So far thats been a good thing.

• Posted

Hi Suzie. 18 weeks dwn the line and still going through it! 😢. But once your out of cast's and boot it does start to get better each day although you may not feel it at the time. I couldn't see any change for weeks, but can now see it on a day to day basis. But don't try to kid yourself, it's going to be a long hard haul. Elevation is a must and rest as much as possible. I couldn't do anything anyway so got plenty of that stuff!!! Can get very boring and I got angry with myself, so good old shouts to myself helped too. 😁. Keep up with meds if you need them. Progress will come but sometimes not sx fast as we would like. Keep yourself posted on here, ad it's been a godsend for me with my questions and answers. Even if it's just for a moan when I was feeling low. Wishing you good luck. Sx

• Posted

18 weeks wow. I know it's gonna be a while as every doctor stopped in the cubicle where my xray was and comment. I knew that wasn't good..,lol.

• Posted

Mine was a bad break and dislocation. Had lrg plates n screws on outside of the ankle and smaller on the inside. My consultant told me that I had made a good job of it, as it was worse once he opened up than it was showing on xrays. Smashed outside of ankle good n proper. Such a little fall too!! 😔. Sx

• Posted

Hi Suzie03,

Also hopefully you have a few items to help you out while your heeling: a shower seat, I got one that adjusts heights it will fit in tub or shower, a toilet riser makes going to bathroom a lot easy with a cast one (can get at Walgreens or Walmart or amazon, get netflix if you don't already helps pass time on down days, knee scooter and a basket on front smile the basket helps with carry stuff around.

The first 3-5 days are the worst, hang in there get lots of rest most important for heeling.

I hope your pain is under control.  

I am in Oregon, When I went in for my 6 weeks check up they said to go to psychical therapy and they were booked out 3 weeks!  I would advise in maybe 2 weeks set up your appointments. So you don't have to wait like I did I think I mentioned I just got in tuesday, Seems a lot of them booked.

And if you have any questions along the way ask! It has helped me...Oh ya and I got a Even Up shoe, this boot thing killed my back and hip I started wearing a even up shoe (goes on tennis shoe got on ebay) and has helped a lot!

Sorry so long..Just trying to give you some ideas and suggestions that may help you...

Have a wonderful day and look forward to hearing how you are doing!

Sincerely, Dawnette

• Posted

LOL a long time  my friend, nearly 7 months for me, just keep swimming xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.