Pain Clinic

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well I went to the pain clinic yesterday to discuss increasing/adding to my medication. Currently on up to 100mg of Morphine twice a day, Oramorph and Pregbalin.

I won't go into the in's and out's as to why I need it - it is a long standing disability.

Anyhow, he decided that I didn't need it increasing at all and told me that I would be much better off doing the 'Alexander Technique' instead of taking pain relief. He then proceeded to tell me that I should only take half the Morphine for the next two weeks then stop it altogether as he is sure I will feel a lot better.

I was shocked so I asked 'but how am I supposed to cope?' Ah, he said, you will, most pain isn't really there, you have convinced yourself that if you don't take the medication, you will be in pain - my problem is apparently all in my head - "it's the fear of being in pain that I am suffering from!"

He then suggested that I should take a couple of Paracetamol instead.

Wow, he knows more about me than do the doctors and consultants that I am under and have been since the mid 90's.

Must just keep telling myself that it is all in my head.

Anybody else had so called pain professionals suggest that all pain is simply in the head?

So will be in agony (oh yes I will) with constant Chronic Pancreatitis (for which the only thing that can be given is pain relief and damaged lower and upper spinal injuries - one caused by being thrown off a galloping horse and the second through years of playing rugby.

And there is no way I am going begging to my GP - let them fight over the problem together - I'm just not going to order any more medication from my repeat list simply to prove that the guy is a complete idiot! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dew les, he sounds tough. The type that could have a vasectomy with the use of 2 bricks for deadners. HA.
    • Posted

Precisely! It seems that he believes that all pain can be relieved throught meditation.

But we all know why this is happening - to cut the cost the drugs bill that the NHS has to pay and to reduce the number of people that could get PIP by using the type and quantity of medication that is being prescribed.

Thank goodness I didn't go ahead with my transfer from DLA (High Mobility/Middle Care) to PIP when I received the invite. We may be short of money, but I don't have to worry about trying to prove every few years how my disabilities affect me.

Well back to the days before they stablised my difficulties. Plenty of 999 calls, generally around 3am to get into A&E to get the pain in my stomach sorted out which always leads to a 3 day stay on a ward!

• Posted

Does the stupid man not realise you were put on Morphine for a reason, but Les I'm sure you know you can't just stop it, it must be done very gradually and under strict supervision, you need to see you Dr and contact whoever you see at pain management clinic it's so dangerous to do what that idiot has suggested to you, don't you dare do what he says, he knows NOTHING xx
  • Posted

Hi Les

I suffer with Chronic Pancreatitis and I can 100% confirm the pain is most definitely NOT in your head!  Back in the early 90's I went 6 years without pain relief and those years were hell.

Since 1996 I have taken strong pain killers (Morphine) although I have now cut back to only Oramorph which takes the edge off but certainly does-not stop the pain altogether.

I have no idea who this 'Alexander' fella is but I can safely state he has no frigging idea what he is talking about, and for that matter nor does your pain consultant.

If either take offence to that statement then sue me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.