Pain Clinic and SCS and TENS Spinal Trauma

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have posted on here previously about my husband whose has just had his 7th op to try and control all the different pain he is in after an accident following a disc into his spinal cord at L4/5.  Pain was put down to various things so he has had 2 lower spine, 2 hip, 2 shoulder and 1 neck op's.  Unfortunately it is getting worse.  He has been referred to Pain Clinic and they have given his a TENS which has had little success although he is perserving.  Does anyone have experience of what will be the next step from the Pain Clinic, I think our ultimate goal is a Spinal Cord Stimulator, but two questions, firstly how many other hoops will he have to jump (!!) through before he gets considered for a SCS and secondly is there anyone that has had sucess with a SCS that didn't with a TENS.  I just don't want to think that as the TENS isn't really working a SCS won't either.  Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All, Just an update we went to St Thomas' today and fab news they have accepted him for an SCS, I know we have a long way to go but we are at least on the right path, he has a day's worth of tests to see if he is eligible and then a 2 week residential course and then we get the trial one.  So happy that we are eventually getting somewhere.  Dr Palmsiani was great and feeling really lucky at the moment,  next step not until August but thats fine after 5 years of pain for him.
    • Posted

The nurses will assess you at end of 2week trial- this is based on the way you react to the physical program and participate generally in other general sessions-always -remember the nurse are there to help .you will be asked again at the end of 2weeks if you want SCS implant.

Here's some questions I asked myself before operation

How long will it work for

What happens when I get older passed 70

If I hurt my back again how can they see what's - if I can't hav Mir

• Posted

Thanks for that info.  Did they say how long it will work for, as he is 43.  Did you do your 2 week trial in London?  How was the 2 weeks, I think he is a bit worried it will be a bit like therapy!!  Have you had yours and if so how are you finding it.
  • Posted

Hi khi-i did the two weeks residential at St Thomas hosp,nothing to worry about nurses are great help everyone is in similar sort of situation with some kind of pain, i am still in contact with two people i met and meet up sometimes ,its 5 yrs since my implant no problems just try follow their guidelines what you learn in two weeks-streches,pacing,20min rule,will make sense during two weeks, support afterwards has been great ,l have once a year check ups, but remember this.-It does not work for everyone , and i still hav some pain but with the program guidelines and paracetamol , i work full timein an engineer workshop standing all day..

How long will it for me who knows its a new type of implant system i hav Nevro .

• Posted

Thanks Colin, glad to know the 2 weeks wasn't too bad as he really doesn't want to do it, he wants the implant but doesn't want to be away from home for 2 weeks, he will go as I will nag him otherwise!!!  What form did the psychology assessment take, was it just talking about how you deal with the pain and how if makes you feel etc.  Also did you have to go up for the day assessment by the phsyio, psychology and nurses.  I am just a bit nervous he might say something that doesn't fit their requirements and they don't put him forward.  Just have to wait and see I guess.  Thanks for all the info.
    • Posted

Hi khi

if your husband does not attend the 2 weeks its a possibility he will not be offered the implant .

i think this is hoop 1- how committed you are.

physo assessment 5yrs ago was you were videoed walking

And asked to go up some stairs at begining of two weeks and during.

physiological thisi am unsure as some i think is observation , some by nurse reports and some by talking to phycologist, at the end of the day, i think you have to be youself , be positive in wanting to improve your lifestyle and hope you meet the requirements all best coli

• Posted

Hi Collin.I think you are spot on with your comments.I also think that they need to know that you can manage your expectations,like not expecting to perform cartwheels & getting a 100% result.How you will cope if you don't get good results.
  • Posted

Thanks Beverley and Colin its just nice to know whats what before he goes in, fingers crossed he gets that far, got to get through the day assessment first.  
  • Posted

With pain in so many places, has anybody checked for fibromyalgia? Maybe he should be on Lyrica and/or Gabapentin. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.