Pain control

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am 12 weeks past my 2nd tkr. My first was in Sept and recovered miraculously well so I'm struggling to find out what a normal recovery is. I'm still struggling with some pain from a tight band just above my kneecap. Is it normal to still be needing 2-3 Norco a day? I can't take oxycodone, it makes me feel terrible. The Norco works but it wears off after 6 hours. I try to go without for a bit but eventually take another one. Are others still taking narcotic pain meds at this point?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

As everyone says, each knee is different. When did u stop taking narcotics w/ the first one?i am at 13 weeks w/ my first TKR and stopped taking codeine after about 4 weeks.

personaaly, I could not go thru another TKR after 3 months. I'm doing well, but still get very tired and have some discomfort. I am not back to my normal self quite yet. 

I really do not have the answer for you. Best of luck.  

• Posted

I had my TRK done in September also and you are so brave to do both knees. It's been the hardest thing I have ever done physical and mentally. At month two I was only taking pain meds to help me sleep cause I think if you don't ever get a good sleep it's hard to take on the next day. I can say for me normal is what I am going to make it. I still streach once a day I cut it down two weeks ago cause I am just tired of the pain and I still have it very much so when I streach. I can say I finally don't feel like I'm carrying around a log for a leg. Every day I am scared something might go wrong, don't think I could do this again. I still have pain pill I have not used And my never use but its not because I don't have pain, I have I think gotten use to living with what I have. So hope you will be getting better fast.
  • Posted

Hi Deborah!

I was given Oxycodone with my first TKR in June and Hydrocodone with my second TKR in October because Oxycodone made me quite LOOPY.

After about a week I began feeling weird with the Hydrocodone as well. On my own I switched to Extra Strength Tylenol until I was done with my blood thinner shots on Day 14.

The following day I went back to my tried and true Ibuprofen which did MUCH BETTER at helping control my swelling AND did not give me any strange side effects.

I took the Ibuprofen every four to six hours until about four months post op.

Now at eight months and five months post op I take my Ibuprofen as needed. Today I only needed it twice. Several days ago I took it about every six to eight hours.

I find my overall arthritic pain ( HIPS, shoulders, lower back, ankles and fingers) bothers me LOTS MORE than my knees! Funny, but true!

Listen to your body, and don't be afraid to change it up to something less potent. Sometimes plain old Ibuprofen will do the trick better than the heavy stuff!

Different meds work differently on different people.

• Posted

Hi Deborah

The short answer is yes, but just when I need them now (15 weeks), which is seldom, whereas before I lived from one lot of painkillers to the next.

From what you read here each TKR is different and you just have to go with it and do the best you can.  That 'log leg' you describe I still get now and again but usually when I have done to much or stand too long.  I still get sharp needle like pain in my knee, only lasts seconds, and only now and again, its like the nerves are reforming in the knee (Tom's 'thunder and lightning', good description!).

Dont think your pain is anything to worry about. Its just the healing process.

Take care

Ann

The Irish One!

• Posted

Hi, I'm just 7 weeks from TKR I also have that tight band above knee cap but I am told that is normal because of all the swelling still under the surface. I must admit it is getting slightly less so obviously the more you do with it the better. I only take one dyhidrocodeine 30 500 each morning but that is to help the other knee w high does need some attention. Yes it's uncomfortable sometimes especially in bed when turning but I wouldn't say pain. I am listed for hydro so hopefully that may help. Have you the sheet of exercises to follow. They say knee ops are not for the light hearted and I totally agree the first 2 weeks I was in excruciating pain. I have not heard of the pain killers you are taking but I know I was sent home with dyhidrocodeine when I had an arthroscopy some years ago & they suit me fine so I stick with those, I tried  tramadol but I must admit after a week I went back on the codeine. Let me know if you have not got the exercise sheet I can tell you what they are don't think you can attach photos on here.
  • Posted

Hi Roc.

You can utube the exercises that you need for recovery. Thats the easiest way of getting them.

When I started off I was on a cocktail of painkillers Tramadol, Codeine and ibruprofen.  You took one and then the next just before the pain started to kick in again. Never let the pain kick in fully.   Found that brilliant at the beginning.  Unfortunately I thought I would have the other knee done asap, but that while I was on all the heavy stuff.  Drugged up would be my description.  When I started to wean myself off them I changed my mind pretty damn quick!

Regards

Ann

The Irish One

• Posted

Hi we were given a sheet of exercises & they came out to the house 2 days running to check all was ok. I don't think people realise just how bad the pain is that first two weeks. I need my other knee sorted but I am hoping that I can have an arthroscopy I just couldn't face another TKR just yet. I think you are right you must keep up the pain killers to keep it under control if not you suffer more. Regards lesley
  • Posted

Hi Lesley

Me too! I was given those sheets too but if you dont have them and are looking for extra utube is the place to go.  Somebody else told me that on here.  I did 6 weeks of PT and some! But got better when I calmed it down by half! Some of the PT they give you is far to harsh on the knee, I found, in the first few weeks.

In my opinion, gently is best, but everyone is different.

Best wishes

Ann

The Irish One

• Posted

Yes I agree that some of the exercises are too harsh & I think done of the physios also oush you too hard, I wonder how they would get on if they had the knee & pain. My husband says walking is the most important the rest will come.. Good luck.
  • Posted

I am at 14 weeks and I still take one Tramadol a day, in the evening. Keeps the log leg away and helps me sleep.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your responses. This knee is different from the other one so I need perspective on things. My Dr told me to call if I needed more meds so I may have to take him up on it. I don't mind taking a half a pill before therapy but would like to get off the other one that I have to take other times in the day. I know I have to be patient, it's just hard sometimes. 
  • Posted

I am at 7 weeks and am at the point that some days I don't take anything.  But almost always take a norco after PT!  It does depend upon the day but the amount of excercising I do during the day can make a big difference.  I don't think that there is a hard and fast rule, each of us is different. 
  • Posted

I take 1000+ MG of oxycodone a day for pain if I don't My heart goes out of rhythm and then I have to get my heart shocked to get my heart back to normal. I have a very large aortic aneurysm that needs to be replaced. Form

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.