Pain control

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I am 7 weeks post op from TKR not doing to bad knee bend 105 degrees but still getting aches in my knee at night time preventing me from getting a nights sleep.

I am off the co- cocodamol as they make me constipated, taking  paracetamol but not really strong enough any recommendations bearing in mind l am in the UK.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, are you just taking paracetamol? I’d speak to the docter to see if there was anything else you could take to top up the pain relief as everyone is different and what may suit someone may not suit you. 

Good luck with your recovery 😊

• Posted

Can you go down the stairs as normal

Like you come up

I am 16 weeks and cannot go down as normal 

I wonder how with 105 degrees you can manage

• Posted

Yes can go up and down stairs, just about.

Gets a bit stiff after walking for a couple of hours but a guess it’s early days.

• Posted

Hi Jonkee, I too was badly constipated by taking the co-codamol, so decided not to take it. Fortunately for me I didn't really suffer a lot of pain, so stopped taking all painkillers on day 5, however when leaving hospital, I was advised to take paracetamol & ibuprofen alternately every two hours if I wished. Don't know if it will help, but  may be worth a try.  Wish you well.  J

• Posted

Anti inflammatories? Are they an option for you?
  • Posted

Nurofen plus??? Ibuprofen and Coedine....they really help at night....I'm 7.5 weeks too....this feels endless, this recovery.... feel I'm in phase 2, but it's tougher almost than phase one.....I'm back to the gym but can't cycle yet( barely , on a recumbent bike will it go around backwards) ...I try do an hr in the gym everyday ..so I hope it will come.......I can use a cross trainer which I couldn't pre op.... I'm tired a lot still..should be going back to work soon but not able yet....my iron still low ...my wound not fully healed which is frustrating as I love to swim and feel my knee would move better in water.... whoever ( Chico ??) said this was a rollercoaster???? No truer words..... sometimes I think I'm no better off than before ...stairs one at a time still on way down....better on way up......but I'm wondering am I any better off than before my op....hoping it will come with time....my biggest concern now is my wound.... plus financially I need to go back to work but don't feel up to it at all.....what's the average time?? I'm getting fed up with people asking me when I'm going back.......I'm just about managing to do my home exercises...do the gym for an hr or so....and try function a bit in between !! Hard to keep the good humour up ....

• Posted

Linda I feel your frustration.  I am 9 weeks and only have ROM of 0/100!   My wound is still not completely healed...seems I had a reaction to the glue they used to close the wound (no staples)!!  So no swimming or hot bath.    I am thankful that I am retired because I couldn't even imagine dealing with the thought of going back to work.  I am normally a early riser and now I can't get out of bed until 9am or later.  It seems I am tired all the time.  I have moved the seat back on my recumbent bike so I pedal but it is painful.  I was going to go to the gym this week but was so tired I didn't go.  I hate the well meaning comments from people who tell me so and so had a knee replacement and they were back doing (fill in the sport) by now!!!  

As Chico and some others have said this is a marathon not a sprint....I keep telling myself that...

• Posted

im 7 1/2 week post op also, and have similar experience .  we can do this, we must !!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.