Pain Controlling

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am scheduling appointment tomorrow for my first appointment with pain management and I have never gone to one of these before can anyone tell what will happen during my first visit just so I know what to exapect? How long is the visit? My surgeon said he’s only allowed to write a certain amount of scripts and I’m at the limit so I have to be referred he said he knows I need the medication so I need to go to pain management. My surgeon is only allowed to write for tramadol or Tylenol 3 and tramadol knocks me out so he switched me to the Tylenol and that barely does anything for the pain so I hate pain meds but I’m at the point that I need something stronger does anyone with ruptured disc know what type of medication they will give for that? Thanks in advance and for listening to me I’m just nervous about this first visit since it’s all a new experience.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

all they will do is firstly examine you then give you pain medication. they will ask you to try it and then go back in another 2 weeks. If no improvement they will offer another medication and repeat the same performance over and over again until you feel as though you're wasting your time then decide not to continue going. the stronger the pain medication the worse the side effects are. which you are told you just have to put up with. so you end up still with pain and horrendous side effects to go with it. Seems like no one really wants to help us any more.

sorry to sound so negative. I wish i could help.best wishes.

• Posted

I have had degenerating disks for around 20 years now. I have tried injections and those didn't work. I started taking Ultracet (which is Tramadol & Tylenol) and that has been giving me relief most of the time. I am prescribed one or two a day but I hardly ever take more than on. I guess it is in the Opiod family so the doctor makes me go for blood testing at least once a year. When I first started taking it I only took a half of one because it made me sleepy but I soon after started taking a whole one. They don't seem to be helping me as much now but I don't take more than one because I don't want to be addicted. I also take an Elavil at bedtime for my Fibromyalgia. I also go to the YMCA twice a week and do exercises in a warm pool. Physical Therapy sent me there years ago. I hope that you can get relief from your pain soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.