Pain drifts to lower ribs ouch

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with this for a long time but recently I've only been getting pain in the low ribs and the floating ribs with stab pain in sternum at times . It can be so tender . Anyone else experiencing this

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You have my sympathies. I take it that you've been diagnosed with Costochondritis. If so , how long have you had it?

• Posted

Thank you and yes I have costo . I've had it for about five years . But not used to the pain being constantly that low

• Posted

Hi Ray,

I find the prospect of maybe having this for five years or longer really daunting. I'm into my 10th month. How do you cope?

Mine is mainly lower left rib area particularly if sitting down or driving , sternum (to the left hand side) and left upper back towards the spine. As you have probably experienced, it shifts about but is ALWAYS lurking. Has anything really helped you?

I have found great relief using a Backpod and having weekly sports massage, daily walking and doing stretches. Remarkably for most of the time I remain positive and try to distract myself from the pain because being anxious and grumpy seems to make it worse.

In desperation, this week I have started using a Shakti mat daily for 30 mins - it's a similar idea to a bed of nails but with little plastic spikes to provide Acupressure. It's a pain/pleasure experience!

I looked at a YouTube clip ' Could This be a Cure for Costochondritis?'. The guy explains and demonstrates a doorway stretch he has been doing which he believes has helped him, plus using turmeric. He reckons that he had positive results in a few weeks. So I thought I'd give these a go too - nothing to lose! My road to recovery is almost a full time occupation! I'm desperate to be fit and well again and to be able to get back to 'normal'.

• Posted

Hi Chris , the shakti mat sounds like a good idea and one I need to try as is also the turmeric. I have struggled at times over the past five years but was originally coping with steroid injections but they gradually stopped being as effective .

I now just cope with pain killers . As you said it never fully goes away as it always lurks in the background . Most of my pain recently has been similar to yours . Especially the left side lower and sternum . Sometimes it gets me confused and makes me think it's coming from the stomach as obviously the nerve endings wrap round the lower areas and the lower left ribs are directly above the stomach .

Have you tried a tens machine as I've started using one and that helps too

• Posted

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the suggestion of using a TENS machine ... another to add to my repertoire! I forgot to mention that I also have pain in my ab area too - a similar pain as you might get from overdoing sit-ups.

The whole condition is quite bizarre. Have you looked at Steve August's explanation on YouTube ... How to Fix (Most) Costochondritis ... it's very informative, and for me, gives a logical explanation of the condition.

• Posted

Costo Chris,

I am experiencing the exact same thing you just described. Any luck as far as remedies? Is the Back pod really helpful? 

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I think the Backpod has helped, unfortunately not cured, but definately helped. Have you watched Steve August's (the inventor) YouTube explanation of Costo? Very informative. I have found relief from the Backpod and feel it has helped to turn the pain volume down, but used alone, for me it has not been the magic cure that we're all searching for on this Forum. I suppose it depends on the individual. I have managed not to take any painkillers for 10 days. I'm trying to stay off them because of their side effects.

Walking twice a day for 30 mins has also helped me plus doorway stretches (see YouTube clips) and gentle head and neck stretches. Also keeping distracted and trying not to sit around doing nothing watching TV, sitting is problematic anyway, and trying to stay positive. I used to think 'Why me?' Now I think ' Why not me?' and try to get on with it. I'm lucky, I've retired - I don't know how people who have to go to work cope.

Not sure the Turmeric is doing much, but cheap enough to give it a go.

My next course of action is going to be to lose weight. I'm not overweight but I'll try anything to get rid of the nagging aches and pains. As long as I don't go to any extreme, I feel that if nothing else it'll good for my general health. This will be after Xmas!

I have been refered by a Rheumatology consultant for an MRI scan, which I'm having tomorrow - I'm hoping it might throw some light on the problem. All other tests have shown nothing sinister to explain my pains, which is the only positive that has come out of my Costo experience!

Let me know if you have any success.

Best wishes,

CC.

• Posted

Yes mine is exactly where you described.  I’ve felt I must have an ulcer or stomach cancer but all of my GI tests are normal.  It’s the worst pain I’ve ever had.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.