Pain due to large volume of faeces

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm T2 diabetic and I'm currently in a lot if pain (which is getting worse) due to a large build up of faeces in my stomach (a doctor took an x-ray which showed my stomach was full of it). I've had 2 colonoscopies and an endoscopy and am awaiting the results. I'm taking a variety of prescribed medications for constipation but they're not working (I'm managing to go to the toilet but the old faeces isn't shifting). The worst of the pain is in my left hand side hip and lower back (recently I've also had pain in the top of my leg) but there is also discomfort on the right hand side. It started over 2 months ago when I stopped going to the toilet. The pain is there every day (some days worse than others). Could anyone please help with what my options are? I've been prescribed Movicol, Dioctyl, Sodium Picosulphate, Lactalose, Laxido sachets and Senna tablets (as well as over the counter laxatives, suppositories and fibre supplement sachets) but they're not working (I'm going to the toilet now but my stomach is still full of faeces). I'm really fed up with it and have sometimes felt like I don't want to be here any more so that the pain will stop. I'm absolutely desperate for help! Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

You mentioned that your in a lot of pain, when I was having a lot of stomach pain I tried taking strong painkillers like codeine which actually did more harm than good (this is with any opiod medication) they actually cause constipation, and severe constipation pain. Be weary of that, try stopping them if you are taking them for a few days, just thought id mention that in case. Pineapple/ pineapple juice is really good for the digestive system and can help get the bowels moving again. Also digestive biscuits where originally made to be laxatives, but were remarketed as biscuits but the recipe never change. Might gave you a break from the tablet laxatives, which careful your bowels can become overly dependent on the laxative tablets if taken for a long time

Also make sure you're drinking a ton of water

hope some of this helps and you feel better

• Edited

Thank you Rachel currently I'm only taking Paracetamol and Buscapan because of the reasons you mentioned. I will definitely try digestive biscuits (I do enjoy them and I now have a good excuse to have them) and pineapple juice ... can't do any harm. I've got a call with the Colorectal Consultant this week so hopefully I'll be told what my options are. Thank you again for your response I really appreciate it

• Posted

Thanks Rachel he's taking it to MDT to discuss treatment options. He has also told me to go back up to hospital for admission if the pain is bad again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.