Pain exposure physical therapy with CRPS type 2

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I have had CRPS type 2 for the last two and a half years. I have just met a new physio who bullied me into starting Pain exposure physical therapy, I've had a look on the web and all I can find is trials are being done in Holland with CRPS type 1 but I can find no mention of type 2 CRPS. Does anybody know anything about or done Pain exposure physical therapy with CRPS type 2.

Cheers

Brodie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I also have CRPS 2 and just restarted my physical therapy today.  It was excruciating and felt like I was actually going thru a flare up as she continued touching me.  The pain is still throbbing in my arm and she never touched the arm itself. Mather just muscles extending to it.  My head is hurting and npmy face and nose feel like broken bones as she massaged the back of my neck.  I'm not sure what this Pain Exposure is or how it works but it sounds painful to me.  I'd like to learn more if you have more to share.
    • Posted

Hey

I had a motorbike accident in 2013 and got type 2 in my leg and foot and have not walked since. I now have centralized pain in two thirds of my body. Basically pain exposure physical therapy is forcing myself or be made to use my body mainly my leg/foot to walk despite pain. The physio that is trying to push this on me wants me walking in 6 weeks. The problem I'm facing is she has told me I will most likely get no pain relief but I will be able to enjoy life and walk. I know for a fact of she had this pain she wouldn't be out and about enjoying life.

Cheers

Brodie

• Posted

Hi Brodie Firstly can I ask what is the difference between type two and one of CRPS, it sounds as though you have been having an awful time of things, do you live in the uk, as I would recommend Bath Mineral Hospital?

Regards Carol

• Posted

Hi

Type 2 has a nerve injury/lesion and I'm in new Zealand.

• Posted

Hi Brodie,

Be happy that your Physio is aware of the newest info on how to treat CRPS.

In our trials done in Holland with CRPS type 1, we did not include CRPS-2.

So I can't give you evidence on Pain Exposure Physical Therapy with CRPS type 2.

You have 'centralized pain in two thirds of my body' but only one foot has CRPS-2, so the the rest of the centralized pain is not due to nerve injury/lesion.

'PEPT is forcing myself or be made to use my body mainly my leg/foot to walk despite pain'.

Yes functioning is the main goal, but mostly the pain decreases quickly after normal functioning. Be aware that you can do no harm (we did a safety study as well). Only your brain is telling you to stop, but it is a false alarm. Also touching and rubbing your skin is painfull but it still is necessary and just a false alarm. Don't fight the pain but let go.

Limping is a normal way to avoid the pain, but every step you should feel the pain, because then you know that you are functioning in a normal way.

And Yes your therapist knows how much pain you have!

Good luck with your therapy.

Kind regards,

​Frank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.