Pain extending now 4 months after stent removal!

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm 60 years old and a female. My story started with a 5mm stone that couldn't travel down my left ureter the day after Thanksgiving this past year. All of us that have had previous stones in the past knows how painful that is! That was on a Friday and on the following Tuesday I had the stone removed with a stent put in my left kidney ureter. 6 days later the stent was removed by my urologist (12/6). It wasn't 2 hours after that I was back in his office in severe pain. He told me I was having bladder spams that was rare after having my stent taken out. These one hour spasm attacks lasted for 6 horrible days. Once the spasms finally went away, I continued to have pain in my left groin area. The urologist's nurse told me that was from being constipated which I knew wasn't true. So eventually, I had 2 ultrasounds done, 1 MRI and a CT scan that all revealed that I had mild to moderate hydronephrosis (swelling) in my left ureter close to my bladder. Then on 3/3, I had a ureteroscopy surgery that revealed that I had scarring and it was restricting my urine flow so he put another stent in for 2 weeks this time. He suggested that must be the reason for all my pain. I had the stent removed 3 weeks ago and felt perfect for about 2 days. On the third night after my stent was removed, the pain started back as before but this time with a lot of left back pain along with the groin pain that I had before. It's been 3 weeks since my stent was removed and my pain is not getting better. A visit with my urologist yesterday left me confused. He doesn't think ureter pain should be affecting my groin area and I should only be having pain in my back at my kidney if my ureter was restricted. He said the restriction in my ureter would not have came back so quickly. I googled a lot and every site I came to said that ureter pain can be in your back, abdomen and your groin. He even indicated it could be a pinch nerve that happened during my first stent being removed. He is setting me up with a nuclear test to test the flow of my left ureter compared to my right ureter. If it shows a restriction then I will have to have a robotic lap ureter re-implant. If it doesn't show enough of a restriction or no restriction at all then I'm back to square one! It's been 4 months now with all this pain and I still don't know what's really causing it and I'm getting discouraged. Has anyone else had this kind of experience after having their stent removed? I still feel like the culprit is my ureter but I really don't know what to think any more. I just want to get back to pre kidney stone condition and I'm afraid that's not going to happen anytime soon.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

did you ever get the nuclear test done? sadly some doctors only start to take you serious when your on your deathbed in icu if they cant find anything go to another doctor or another hosptial that will referr you to their urologist i have had near death experience with stones several times because i produce stones that cant be seen on x ray called acid stones and the only way to see if anything is wrong is from a ct or mri to look at my kidney and for them to see how it is working usually they will see my Hydronephrosis so if in fact your scar tissue is the cause they would have to do that test and if it is in fact the issue and they blow it off you will end up in icu with sepsis or septic then they would in fact take your issue serious because now you have several drs pointing out the obvious been there 4 times like that exept mine was over stones that they couldnt see on imaging

• Posted

I have chronic pain in L flank which radiates to left groin. I've had 2 lithotripsies in the past and suspect scarring/stricture from the procedure(s) has caused it. for you, I wonder if there could be referred pain to groin. but the ureter traverses to the bladder, so it makes sense that it could hurt in that area even when not considering referred pain.

• Posted

This reply is waiting to be moderated

We sometimes need to review content before it’s published to make sure it meets the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.