Pain for 1 year

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’ve had lower left abdomen pain for a year. I’ve had diverticuliticulosis for over 25yrs when ever I’ve had flare ups I’d use antibiotics but they stopped working. The doc gave me ct scan and it shows no infection . Can I still have pain with no infection or inflammation. I’m scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks and really worried about it .   Also my pain goes around into my back can diverticulitis cause that. I’m  really stressed any info would be appreciated

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have had pain ever since my first s

infection 2 months ago intravenous antibiotics for 3 days sent home with another week worth, 3 weeks later back in hospital with same protocol. Still in pretty severe pain and my back also hurts Going to gasomytris in 2 more days My brother in law had one episode he was in hospital awhile and 6 inches of his colon was was removed he was back to work about 10 weeks later and is doing great Good luck to you!

• Posted

Yes and yes..A lot of us on here have pain outside of active infections..I think this is because of scar tissue and walk thickening, and just years of inflammation coming and going..It's natural to worry..I have surgery in a few weeks too. Just keep asking questions and learning more from this site and its support. Its a big helpsmile

• Posted

Thanks so much for the replies.

im 57 and I read about the risks from the surgery and it’s a little scary.  I had to stop work because I have no appetite and I’m nauseous.  My pain comes and goes but it’s always lower left quadrant and the pain is not severe. It’s a dull pain.  I don’t really wanna go into surgery all stressed out .

• Posted

I'm about 4-5 weeks out of surgery.  I had chronic acute Diverticulitis for about 18 months.....that was long enough for me,  along with 14+ ER visits. How you lasted so long is crazy

I had open sigmoid colectomy  which I won't lie, hurts like hell but all the nausea and pain of Diverticulitis is gone. The only pain I have is from the surgery but gets better everyday.  Ask questions about what type of surgery.  Apparently lapriscopy you heal faster but it depends on your situation.  Just remember to stay on the soft diet for at least 6 weeks after surgery, then slowly introduce new foods.  Eat in moderation, drink lots of water and walk as much as you can without overdoing it. You'd be surprised how fast you'll heal and better yet no more nausea, pain, back pain, etc. 

• Posted

I hear you..Im a 40 yr old momsad..I was more stressed , but now I am a little less so as I just know it is what I need to do..I have an Uncle who had the surgery in his 50s and he has been smooth saling since. Eats what he wants, no recurrance..for years..It sounds to me that you really need this surgery..Like me you cant reverse the damage that has become to hard to function with..Its a tough disease, but there are lots positive outcomes thankfully
  • Posted

Thanks Glenda,

How long does the surgery take ?

I’m 17 days away and saying should I proceed or forget about the operation.

Right now my pain is gone but tomorrow could be another story.  

• Posted

It depends on so many factors.  I never had any surgery in that area so it was much easier for my surgeon cutting an average 3 hr procedure to 1 1/2 hr. It's better for them to do the surgery while you're in the so called "stable " state than while in a attack. I was in the hospital for 6 days but was healing so well my surgeon wanted to release me the day before. Now don't forget,  mine was open cut. With lapriscopy the hospital stay is not as long. It depends on how well you heal, hold down your food/liquids, and how well you can walk on your own.  As the saying goes, the more pain, the more you gain.  The end result is the ability to live a life without nausea, pain, and the constant worry about another attack coming.  Remember, each time you have an attack, the more damage it's doing to your colon or worse which is reality. 

• Posted

I have Chrons and diverticulitis.

The pain I experienced was on both sides of my abdomen and also radiated down the front of my thighs and around to my lower back which at times made it difficult to even stand up and walk. I got relief from heating pads, ice paks and hot soaks in the tub with Epsom salts. I also used a menthol type of pain relieving gel called Icy Hot to numb the pain. For some reason, drinking slushes and Slurpees were also helpful. The best pain relief came when I finally went to the doc. for treatment.

• Posted

I know I definitely have diverticulitis but I’m sitting here second guessing myself saying what if my pain is coming from my back and radiating into my stomach.

I’m in construction and I do have a bad back  because every time my left abdomen hurts my lower left back hurts also.  

• Posted

I had surgery in April. It was done robotically. I had surgery on Mon went home on Weds! I had very little pain post op. I was sick for 3 months prior to OR. Once I started to feel better I started to think maybe I didn’t need it. But I was so sick I couldn’t go through that again! So glad I did it! Still trying to figure out my diet now! I feel 95% now
  • Posted

Hi

I was told three years ago I had diverticulitis after a colonoscopy, onlead up to that I had severe lower back hip and leg pain, very little Abdominal pain, after colonoscopy I felt great, no problem until six weeks ago, pain in lower back and down both legs, this time a lot of abdomen pain as well, I'm hoping it's diverticulitis Again but am really scared it's not as the pain is so mu ch worse than it was three years ago, so in answer to your question I think that yes back pain can be part of it

• Posted

Hi Kate I've had 2 infections in two months I'm finished with antibiotics and have been on soft food diet for about 13 days now I am still in great abdominal pain so I haven't been able to add to my diet About 3 days ago my legs especially above my knee caps is on again and off again today can barely make it up the stairs I'm afraid to take a shower for fear of falling I'm only 60 is leg pain part of diverticulitis?

• Posted

Hi Ellen

I'm 56, and hope to god that leg pain is part of diverticulitis because I've had severe leg pain in both legs for past six weeks, I had same 3,years ago when I got my first colonoscopy and the pouch were discovered, I also have very bad rectum pain, some burning in lower abdomen, is your leg pain bad?

• Posted

It's enough to bring me to my knees and when pain stops at the point of pain it's like pins and needles then kind of numb I finally have later in the day gasomytris appointment tomorrow and I will definitely ask her I was thinking it was from my poor diet that I've been on for almost two weeks not enough protein fiber or other nutrients this disease depreys us of I will post what she says tomorrow night!

• Posted

Good luck Ellen, hope your doctor can give you some answers, let us know how you go

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.