Pain for last 3 years

Posted , 8 users are following.

Interesting to hear everyone's issues post THR.  I had my left hip replaced 3 yrs. ago and have had pain in that joint ever since (currently 53 yrs. old).  The pain becomes very intense post work outs.  Making it hard to stay in shape and loose weight if working out brings on pain.  The pain is primarily in the replaced joint, can be a continuous throbbing or a bolt of lightning.  A heating pad or ice pack seem to help, but I didn't intend on getting hip replacement surgery to continue to be in lifelong pain. Now that I see I'm not imagining this issue, through your inputs, it's time to see a doctor and discuss the proposed nerve deadening procedure (if this is the root cause).

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Go and get it checked...  one thing I will not suffer is continous pain as was told I would be pain free... although not going to improve my mobility.   
  • Posted

I'm 54, had my hip done 15 months ago. To cut a long story short, it came out after 3 days. Put back in and the femoral nerve was damaged - bad news. Been walking without crutches for a good 8 months now and the nerves are slowly regenerating. Been more occupied with the nerves and trying to build up my quads and VMO muscle (they disappear after femoral damage) than my hip joint until recently ( least of my worries!) and now I have a horrible feeling that I'm going to feel the same pain as you. Cycling is fine  – I do some serious hills and can at last lift my bum off the seat to pedal; but walking is increasingly uncomfortable, it either pops, grates, clicks or just feels wrong. But no throbbing or bolts of lightning around the hip, just on the inside leg - it's the nerves. So yes, your problem sounds nerve-related, and yes, you need to see a doctor. What did the surgeon say when you saw them post -op? I take it you said you were still in pain?

Anyway, you've made me decide to see my physio about my hip - I get more sense from her.

• Posted

I'm just over 4 months, I had a bilateral, posterior THR.  My left leg is doing very well, but my right hip HURTS!  My surgeon said I have tendonitis in that hip.  He has taken several x-rays to make the implant is in place and healing.  The hip joint has healed.  I started back to bowlin last week, which was my main reason to have this surgery in the spring.  I worked with a PT, trying more stretches and ice again, but still the pain continues.  I'm looking for answers myself!

• Posted

hi stacey, 

Bowling and THR ?   are you sure this is a wise thing to do ?

It seems a lot to ask from your body that is still healing ...

Take care

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi steve, im forty nine , I had my lhr seven weeks ago, I one day hoping to play squash again, maybe o being optimistic, its hard when you are active, than suddenly everything changes. My right hip needs to be done . I think you should go back to the dr. Good luck xx
  • Posted

I had my left hip replaced about 3 years ago.  I have had lower back pain ever since.  I have been to physiotherapy for my hip and for my back and honestly it has given relief but not enough to make my day pain pill free. I take the pills so I can do my job (I am a home care worker).  My hip doctor said my pain was coming from my back.  I went through various exminations, tests and training and the final outcome (as of yesterday) was that there is nothing wrong with my back, the pain is coming from my hip.  I was actually glad to hear that because it's what I have been saying from the start. "My back hurts because of my new hip".

I am scheduled for my right hip to be replaced (osteoarthritis) in a couple of months.  It has been suggested that when I have the other hip done my back pain will be less because it will be more equal.  There is no question about whether or not I need the other hip done.  With the back and hip pain I do have trouble walking and keeping up with the program (at work).  I am 60 and have 7 years left before I can stop working and collect SS.  I too didn't get the surgery to continue lifelong pain-more than I started off with(?)  My right hip is worse than my left hip ever was before surgery.  Hot morning showers are precious and motion is good too.  The longer I sit, the harder it is to start up again.  I have no pain (to speak of) in the replaced joint

I wish you well.

• Posted

Why do Drs not listen to us.... I had been saying for over 10yrs my hips were a problem, but because I have had bad knees for many years they all came up with your knees are causing the pains in your hips.  

Eventually a surgeon saw me walking at a family event and literally said your hips are bad aren't they... got referred to him some 100 miles away from home and yes my hips were bone on bone....  

I told my GP this and he just shrugged his shoulders... I now avoid seeing him and try and go to the trainees as the practice is a training practice and so far I have not been disappointed in how I have been treated.  

• Posted

Funny, I have been told if you have hip problems it will affect your kness and for me that's true.  My guess is that they don't want to admit they are wrong or don't know the answer.  It's not my 1st time having such a problem about a seperate issue.  Nobody would hear me.  Actually in this case I did say to the back surgeon that I suspected it was my hips all along and he smiled and said, yes it's not unusual to have back pain after a new him.  He smiled and added that it was hard for the other side (hip surgeon) to accept that it's their problem.  Having said that my hip surgeon did tell me to have all of these tests, etc. done to be SURE where the pain is coming from but REALLY, what a waste of time.   I TOLD YA SO!!!

My right hip is bone on bone now and I have known for about 3 years that I would be getting the left one done.  My surgeon at the time thought it best to do one at a time.  

All the denials about my pain issues were not said by my GP who I would never expect to know anything about much of anything when it comes to a specific problem.  They are General Practioners.  

Anyway elaine (my midddle name is elaine) I'm glad you are coming along.  Are you going to have surgery or have you had it?  If so I wish you the best.  If not.  Good luck with your training practice.

Have a nice day.

• Posted

Hello Aeti,  I underwent a bilateral THR on 11th August, once FULLY recovered I will be having my knees done!! one at a time though.  

• Posted

Steve, had my THR three years ago here in US. Surgeon damaged my femoral nerve, a highly rare event. I have been partially paralyzed ever since. Pain is my constant companion in areas of my leg that still have nerve response. Sounds like your replacement was not a proper fit. Ask if they used cement. Have you reported this pain to your physician or surgeon? Three years for both of us is way past any grace period for a successful surgery. Also, because level of pain is so highly individual, it's too easy for surgeons to pass the blame to a myriad of disclaimers. Plus there are truly no definitive guidelines for post surgical exercise and recovery. Nerve damage like mine is rare, (.002% in some medical studies) meaning if thousands of surgeons can do THRs without a resulting femoral palsy, the the odds are high that my surgeon made a huge mistake. Plus I required five pints of blood for a series of transfusions. They never explored for hematoma, an internal bleed post surgery...and there was poor monitoring of hematocrit levels. A botch job all up. If you have had your degree of pain for three years. A mistake was made. Could be a bad fit, device has slipped, device is aggravating nerves that could be impinged by the prosthesis, or the device was improperly placed to begin with. Get a second opinion. I finally got an attorney.

i wish you all the best. Patients must be their own advocates. I also figure that in the US one needs a license to drive, to hunt, to fish, to operate a business, and surgeons need a license to practice medicine including to operate. Insurance is mandatory here. When a mistake is made, insurance kicks in, but somehow for the medical profession, it's extremely difficult to prove error especially the error if negatively life altering for the patient. Malpractice cases are rarely won. Keep pushing for a solution Steve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.