Pain free after a few changes in my life

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all

i was diagnosed with RA some 2 years ago and recently have changed a couple of things in my daily lifestyle, its helping me i swear it is.

i take 8 methotrexate every monday and then folic acid 5mg for the other six days and have had terrible flare ups, so bad a couple of months ago that i went to the hospital to get a steroid injection, believe it or not even that didnt kick in for 3 weeks, and only lasted a couple more.

So i read how tomatoes are bad for inflammotory conditions, i love them but gave them up, then i got on top of my exercising, mostly power walking every two days for about 2 miles, one more thing i gave up caffeine, these are very small changes, but wow it seems to be making a difference, could be coincidence of course, but i am hoping against hope its not.

i tried a tomatoe last week and i could feel my arthritis creeping back into my fingers, then have had no more and its disappeared again.

No harm in trying, we live in hope, let me know if anyone else has had success with a few changes, i find it interesting.....

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello! Your positive attitude along with life style adjustments goes a LONG way living with RA. Diagnosed in the late 90's, and in my experience, find a rheumatologist that you feel good with....maybe you have already. AVOID prednisone as much as possible! Steroidal induced diabetes, heart failure & other side effects of steroids will show up if used frequently. GOOD LUCK! KEEP up the good work David

• Posted

i was found to have a Rf of 230 three years ago. Too scared to take meds. I do smoothies every day using protein powder, cashew or almond milk, banana, frozen cherries or blueberries and lots of spinach. I also eat salmon, tuna and fish oil plus probiotic, 2000 iu of vit D3, and tumeric capsules. I eat my homemade tomatoe sauce and it doesnt bother me. been feeling great. Hope it lasts.

• Posted

I too have wondered about modifying my diet: such things as eliminating caffeine (giving up choc competely horrifies me), gluten and things like members of the nightshade family.

However, when you say you have given up tomatoes, what about other nightshade vegetables - which includes all forms of tomatoes such as tomatillos, and potatoes, eggplants, all forms of peppers, and probably other things I have forgotten? I have read that one needs to eliminate the whole family, which seems a big task.

Anyway, I'm glad it works for you, but please let me know. If it is just tomatoes, I could definitely easily eliminate those.

• Posted

hi Terry

i eat sweet potatoe but havent really given anything else apart from what i said in my first post, like i also said maybe its temporary i am hoping against hope its not. maybe you should try eliminating one thing at a time i hope you find it helps you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.